Indie Gems: Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

It's a victimless crime.

Andy (Philip Seymour Hoffman) has been embezzling money from his employer to cover his drug habit. When an upcoming audit is going to expose all that, he convinces his also hard up for cash younger brother, Hank (Ethan Hawke) to help him rob their parent's jewelry store. They will use fake guns, do this when neither of their parents are working, and insurance will cover them. It's a win all around. Hank decides to act first without Andy's consent, and things go horribly wrong.

It's taken me a long time to finally see this movie in one sitting, and I don't know why because it was so fascinating. Admittedly now after Hoffman's death, watching him play a drug addict is really hard. That thought pulled me out of the film a few times. 

Hoffman and Hawke give great performances, along with Marisa Tomei and Albert Finney in supporting roles. The film has a quick pace and never drags.

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "I feel like less of a fuck up when I'm here." - Gina (Marisa Tomei)

Comments

  1. Hoffman is aces here, really great! I didn't love the movie as a whole (I think I gave it a B), but Hoffman and Hawke were exceptional and deserved to get awards play, even though they never did. Glad you finally saw this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta hand it to Tomei as well, especially considering she was topless in most of her scenes. (It felt that way anyways) she was bold.

      Delete
  2. This was a terrific movie, but I don't know if I would watch it again. I found it quite disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite performance of Hoffman. His breakdown scene after Tomei leaves him is just unreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! He's just so fantastic. I hate that we no longer have him.

      Delete
  4. I love this movie. PSH is marvelous, as are Hawke and Tomei (drool). Such an underrated picture, glad you finally got around to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I really want to see this but it's not available on streaming anywhere! Hmmm, I might have to ask my friend who has Netflix disc subscription to rent it for me. PSH is always great to watch but I also like Albert Finney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's great too. Yeah, it's a bummer this isn't on streaming anywhere, but I love my Netflix discs. There's always an indie movie I can't find anywhere but there.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE this movie! The performances are top-notch, and it's so well-written and directed. Glad you finally watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked it! One of PSH's best performances.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum