Review: A Most Wanted Man

A lot can be said about a movie from its poster.

If I had seen this poster first, I probably would've skipped it in theaters. Seriously this is the go to generic ensemble cast poster, and few good things come of it.

Gunther Bachmann (Philip Seymour Hoffman) is a spy trying to bring some validity back to his name. When a tortured Chechen man, Issa (Grigoriy Dobrygin) shows up in Hamburg, Gunther links him to wealthy business man that's been accused to transferring money from charities to Islamic terrorists. Issa has help from his lawyer, Annabel (Rachel McAdams, in a terrible German accent) and a reluctant banker, Tommy. (Willem DeFoe)

Here's the thing about this movie. It's interesting, it builds to a good climax, then promptly falls flat on its face. The ending was not satisfying at all. Maybe the novel it was based on has more details, but I couldn't help but be disappointed. Throughout the film, I kept trying to reason with myself that this film WAS decent. Hoffman was good. Daniel Bruhl is in it for awhile, but is severely wasted. Dobrygin is actually pretty damn hot, but once that ending hit, I knew for sure that this film was just plain mediocre and probably makes a better rental.

Recommended: No

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "We both know he's innocent" - Gunther Bachmann (Philip Seymour Hoffman)


Comments

  1. Ooh, that's a shame. McAdams really chooses some wrong roles for her lately. I'll see it for Hoffman, though!

    btw are you gonna post your TB recap this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoffman is the reason I went to it too.

      Yes! I'm going to post that today..I actually didn't get a chance to watch that until last night.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a waste of a strong cast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to see this for a while, but none of my friends will see it with me and your review is making me kind of glad I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoffman is SO GOOD in this. I loved the pacing and the climax, but it's not for everyone. Bruhl was just thrown in there at random, it seems. I hope he isn't relegated to similar roles in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comes out in the UK soon, and while I'm not particularly looking forward to it, I'm excited to see PSH's performance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To whom does the title of the movie refer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've nearly forgotten about this movie, but if I remember right, Issa. Though it could be the organization Gunther works for in general.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum