Review: I Origins

What if I showed you something that would take your breath away?

Ian (Michael Pitt) is a molecular biologist who's fascinated with the human eye. He's been taking pictures of them ever since he was a kid. He thinks that he can actually disprove God if he maps out the human eye from the beginning. His new lab partner, Karen (Brit Marling) is up to the task of helping. But one day, Ian meets Sofi (Astrid Berges-Frisbey) and falls in love with her hard and fast. She's a very spiritual being, and in some ways a polar opposite of Ian. When tragedy strikes, Ian is faced with another hurdle later on in life that brings memories of Sofi and gives him the opportunity to make one of the greatest scientific discoveries of all time. Steven Yeun also stars as Ian's best friend and fellow scientist, Kenny.

I've been looking forward to this one since it appeared during the Sundance Film Festival in January. I had high expectations, and the reviews I read all started great, then started to turn into mediocre. I have to say the film lived up to my expectations, and even surpassed it in one area.

The film isn't without its flaws. It doesn't really flow like a proper film. It almost feels as if you are watching two movies. (But they're both really good) The cast give good performances. We won't see any of them as the Oscars, but they're convincing and perfect for their roles. Then there's the ending. When I heard the ending was typical of Mike Cahill/Brit Marling/Zal Batmanglij, I got a little annoyed because I wanted something different. I ended up loving the ending. The last 5 minutes was the most beautiful part of the film for me. 

I Origins makes you think and treats you to both a doomed love story and a fascinating journey. Plus, there's a scene after the credits, so stay for that.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "What do you always do that thing with your face?" - Kenny (Steven Yeun)


Comments

  1. I love Brit's films so far. They are all flawed and yet all really interesting. She's got an eye for this (pun sort of intended) so I'm looking forward to this. Nice write up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still trying to decide if this will replace The East as being my favorite or not.

      Delete
  2. i really was disappointed with this, but i am glad you enjoyed it. that after credit scene was kinda pointless to me, but maybe i just didn't get it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you were :( You're right that it was kind of pointless, but I thought it was interesting to imagine the possibilities of finding people linked like that.

      Delete
  3. This sounds interesting. I enjoy movies with quirky characters, and this sounds like it might fit into that category. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely interesting. I'm not sure if I'd call anyone but Sofi quirky, but this film is definitely worth watching!

      Delete
  4. I think among our nice little blogging community, you and I are the two who liked this film the most. I agree that, while flawed, there was still a lot about this film to love. Especially that ending, so glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, and I loved reading your review too. :)

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to check this out, as I'm a fan of Cahill/Marling/Batmanglij's other work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum