2015 Blind Spot Series: Misery


Paul Sheldon (James Caan) is an author famous for writing a series about a girl named Misery. He decides to kill her off in the final novel so that he can move on to other things. His car skids off the road in a snow storm and he's saved by Annie (Kathy Bates) a nurse who patches him up and calls herself is "number one fan." But whens he gets her hands on his final Misery book, she keeps him captive and forces him to re-write it so that Misery doesn't die.

It's really sad how long it's taken me to watch this film. I always got the references when people made Annie Wilkes jokes about super fans, but it's nice to finally watch the whole thing. Aside from the performances, especially Kathy Bates, she was wonderful here, I loved the score. I loved how it was sweet, almost music box like when we first meet Annie, then it gets harsher every time she does something crazy.

The suspense is excellent and the film ages well. I never did read the book, though I might have to some day to compare.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "Virginia, when you're in this car you're not my wife, you're my deputy." - Buster (Richard Farnsworth)

Take part in the Blind Spot Series

Comments

  1. The performances in this movie are really perfect. Bates totally deserved her Oscar nom. She is utterly terrifying here, in that "this hurts me more than you" sort of way. Chills me. The score is great as well. I always found this movie to be well-made visually as well, which is something you don't always expect from Reiner. I haven't read the book either, but I haven't seen the movie in a looooong time, so maybe I should read then watch again. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very pleased with my Blind Spot picks so far this year. lol

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow! I've never heard of Misery but what a plot! This might just have to go on our list for next year :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember really liking this movie. Bates traumatized a young m.brown, for sure.

    Oh, and the constant rewinding /slo-mo-ing of that ankle smash? That probably didn't help.

    Sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, that ankle smash was brutal. Mine hurt just thinking about it.

      Delete
  4. I think this is one of the few films that I found better than the book. Like everyone has already said, Bates is terrifying and James Cann is pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. It's pretty rare when a film does that.

      Delete
  5. So glad you finally got a chance to see it and liked it! It really is timeless, doesn't feel outdated at all

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I love that Bates actually won an Oscar for her performance. These movies don't usually attract the Academy's attention, but she was brilliant here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. That's an awesome thing. I like when horror-type performances are taken seriously like this.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum