Indie Gems: We Are What We Are

I wish we could be like everybody else.

We start off by seeing a very nervous looking Emma Parker. (Kassie Wesley DePavia) She's jittery, disoriented, her nose starts to bleed and she falls back, hitting her head and landing in a deep rain puddle during a downpour. She's dead. Her daughters, Iris (Ambyr Childers) and Rose (Julia Garner) are forced to fill her place in an ancient custom their secluded family follows. Their father, Frank (Bill Sage) grows even more paranoid while the doctor performing the autopsy on Emma (Michael Parks) realizes what exactly caused the illness that plagued her before her death.

I've had this film in my Netflix queue for awhile, but after a few new recs I finally got around to it. It sets a very creepy atmosphere. The score is beautiful, yet haunting. While it's not a huge secret what this family is up to, it's still quite jarring when the climatic scenes happen.

The whole cast is perfect. Childers and Garner carry the film, while Sage is quietly terrifying. Parks' character provides a bit of hope for this family, which they definitely need. Then there's that ending, which I won't spoil, but let's just say


Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "Nothing comes between this family." - Iris (Ambyr Childers)

Comments

  1. I didn't realize this was already in my queue, but hot damn, there it is.

    Looks like I know what I'm watching next.

    Excellent post. Totally sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I know the ending would make it into your Yays on principle. lol

      Delete
  3. LOL yeah, this movie is super haunting, very uncomfortable. oh, and i love your gif lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gif sold me. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending is SO fucked up. I think you'd love it.

      Delete
  5. LOL, I think I HAVE to see this now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum