Review: Minions

 Yeah, popular cartoon side characters!

The break out stars of the (in my opinion) ridiculously overrated Despicable Me now have their own origin story. After a little lesson in Minion evolution, and many "bosses" of theirs crashing and burning, three Minions, Kevin, Stuart, and Bob set off to find the baddest villain of them all to follow. The end up in Orlando, FL at a "VillainCon" and set their sights on Scarlett Overkill. (voiced by Sandra Bullock) She wants them to steal the Queen of England's crown for her, but of course things don't go as she planned.

Like last years Penguins of Madagascar, the side characters popularity has grown enough to warrant its own film. I'd say they're on par with each others. (Penguins eventually grew on me since my kid has made me watch it with him 1000 times) There were a few good laughs throughout. I have to give the filmmakers credit, it's ballsy to make the lead characters in a kids movie speak a combination of Spanish/French/English/Gibberish. The film relies heavily on slap stick because of that.

I feel a bit redundant because I've given the same grade to the last few kids movies I've watched, but I haven't been wowed by any animated film since HTTYD2. (Though I did throw Song of the Sea in my Netflix queue and I'm looking forward to that) Minions is just okay. Amusing enough for the adults, and my kid at least enjoyed it. He wasn't on the verge of tears like he was all throughout Inside Out

Recommended: Why not?

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "King Bob!!!!" - Bob. 

Comments

  1. Nice review! My family, including me, loves Despicable Me. We quote it all the time. But the sequel was a total letdown, and I think that affected us from not being excited for the Minions spinoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw the 2nd one, probably best that I skipped it.

      Delete
  2. Loved Despicable Me, and the Minions in it, and this was a pleasant-enough time-waster, but it's not great. It's ballsy to have your main characters in a children's film speak in gibberish language, but the film is just too long. I think the Minions, like most popular side characters, work best (or ONLY work) in small doses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's the truth. It definitely could've been shorter.

      Delete
  3. I seriously just wrote my own review of this and wrote this exact phrase "French-Spanish-English-Gibberish hybrid" to describe their language. Nice! I think you liked it a tiny bit more than me. I pretty much couldn't wait for it to be over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds! Yeah, I definitely would not have sought this out if not for my kid. I do kind of regret it because he's been running around yelling "banana" quite frequently.

      Delete
  4. Words cannot express my contempt for Minions so I've been avoiding this one like the plague ;) Nice review though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was bored to tears during this one. Honestly. This brought me back to the nightmarish Hell of Cars 2. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skipped Cars 2. The first Cars was fucking awful.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen Despicable Me but did see Despicable me 2. I can't say I'm a huge fan and I'm not sure I'll be watching Minions. I will say that the minions ride at Universal Studios was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they have their own ride now. Haven't been there since I was a kid. That's interesting.

      Delete
  8. I might see this, but I'll probably wait for DVD/VOD. Though, I still need to check out Despicable Me 2 (didn't care for the first one). Hope you like Song of the Sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw DM2 either because I didn't like the first. I hope Song of the Sea comes on Instant so I can see it quicker.

      Delete
  9. I thought the first Despicable Me was cute. But I hated this movie! It's literally 90 minutes of the Minions acting silly and talking gibberish.

    Because this was close to getting in for Best Animated Feature, I would've been pissed that it got in while The Lego Movie couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, Lego Movie was amazing. I do think it's impressive that a movie with characters speaking gibberish made so much money.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum