Review: Infinitely Polar Bear

That's too much routine!

Cameron (Mark Ruffalo) suffers from manic depression and bi polar disorder. When we first meet him, he's having an episode. He lost his job, keeps his kids out of school, and is running around in a speedo. His wife, Maggie (Zoe Saldana) is patient and understands that he's ill. After he's committed, they lose their house and Maggie and their two daughters, Amelia and Faith (Imogene Wolodarsky and Ashley Aufderheide) are forced to live in a small apartment, with Maggie barely making ends meat. She gets a scholarship to Columbia for their business program, determined to get a better job and get her kids a better education. Cameron stays back in Boston to watch the girls while Maggie is away.

Ruffalo is so great here. It's almost weird for me to think that about 5 years ago I didn't like him as an actor at all. Now I think he's just brilliant. Having been around people suffering from these illnesses, I think Ruffalo was really spot on with the highs and lows. Wolodarsky and Aufderheide were absolute gems, sometimes hilarious, some times heart breaking. Saldana was solid as well.

I expected this movie to be sad, but it was actually very funny. My only issue was the score. The way they used the musical interludes almost bordered on a cheesy Lifetime feel. Not that the music wasn't good, on its own it probably is. But mixed here it just felt a bit off.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A-

Memorable Quote: "I vow to never cry again." - Faith (Ashely Aufderheide)

Comments

  1. yeah i was never blown away with ruffalo until more recently. he's not a flashy actor, but such an accessible actor. all his characters just seem so honest, like people you know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's like once The Kids Are All Right came out, he was a completely different actor to me. I've liked him in everything ever since.

      Delete
  2. The more I see from him, the more enamored with him I become. This is VERY high on my watch list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! He's just so good. I think you'd like this a lot. Especially since you have two girls of your own.

      Delete
  3. Ruffalo is so consistent that I think he's often overlooked. And Saldana can be GREAT. I'm looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely can be, and she's great here. I hope you get to see it soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum