Indie Gems: Mommy

Parenting isn't easy.

No one knows that more than Diane. (Anne Dorval) Her son, Steve (Antoine-Olivier Pilon) has recently been kicked out of a detention center. She sent him to that one in the first place to avoid a stricter jail-like setting that wouldn't help him. He suffers from ADHD, ODD, and as she puts it "some attachment disorder." After losing her job, she's forced to try to raise him herself, despite is violent outbursts. Their quiet neighbor, Kyla (Suzanne Clement) eventually becomes an important part of their lives. 

This film got so much buzz at Cannes that it's not one of the most unheard of "gems" that I talk about here on my blog, but the release this got in the U.S was so pathetically limited. It's a shame, because this film, like nearly all of Dolan's work is stunning. Sure, the ratio that this film is shot it a bit hard to get used to at first. But Dolan wanted the focus to be on the characters and nothing else, and it really works in his favor. There's two scenes where the picture goes fully in frame, and it's even more breathtaking after watching the smaller, condensed scenes.

The acting is flawless. I knew Dolan favorites Clement and Dorval would be, but it was Pilon that blew me away. His performance was so spot on. There's not much to gripe about this film. I only wish we knew more of Kyla's story. Why her husband and daughter never visit, what caused her stutter, why she's on her break, those were all answers I was expecting to get, and didn't. Sure, it wasn't Kyla's story. But those would've been nice to know.

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "I don't want you to think these last few months didn't mean anything to me." - Kyla (Suzanne Clement) 

Comments

  1. YAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

    I'm so happy you finally saw this!!! UGH, Pilon blew me away as well. I was not expecting that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually watched this just last night. It truly is a shame about the crap release of this movie here. I really would've liked to see it on the big screen. I loved it! But I also seriously hated the very beginning and the very end. So odd for a movie to be that way for me. My review is up now if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out! The release here was embarrassing. Canadian films shouldn't be that hard to access when they're our bloody neighbors, ffs. lol

      Delete
  3. Yep the lack of Kyla's scenes was also a bit jarring to me. But other than that - stunning movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to know what made Kyla tick. Dolan should do a prequel of this movie all about her. lol

      Delete
  4. YAY!!!!! You loved it too!!! A blog-a-thon on Dolan should happen when his next film comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to see Heartbeats, they're about to take it off Netflix Instant. Crap. I should've done that already.

      Delete
  5. i agree. the acting is flawless. it's such a violently emotional film

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Violently emotional is a good way to describe it.

      Delete
  6. I am in complete agreement about the lack of backstory on Kyla. I'm sticking to my guns on hating the aspect ratio, though. Other than that, it's a very powerful film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% understand the hate for the aspect ratio. I have a lot of friends that complained about watching full screen DVDs over wide screen, I know they'd hate it too.

      Delete
  7. Woo hoo!! I was waiting for Dolan to reach his full potential, and this film blew me away. Hoping for even better films from him in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I can't wait to see what he does next.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum