DVD Review: The Voices

Lucky Ryan Reynolds kept his shirt on.

There's no way these accounting chicks wouldn't be throwing themselves at him otherwise. I mean, the women in the accounting department at the company I work for are all somewhere in their 40's-60's and make a ton of dick jokes.

Jerry (Ryan Reynolds) is extremely awkward. He hears voices, mainly from his beloved dog and asshole cat. He doesn't exactly admit this to his shrink, Dr. Warren. (Jacki Weaver) He has a massive crush on Fiona (Gemma Arterton) and jumps at an invitation from their fellow coworker, Lisa (Anna Kendrick) to join them on an outing. When Fiona stands him up on a later date, he accidentally kills her, and of course he just can't go to the police with something like that. 

It's always amusing to me when a film like this gets all these good actors in it, because it's weird as fuck. It has it's amusing points, and all the actors do well. (Even Arterton, whom I normally hate) I wouldn't go as far to call this "good." It just kind of exists. I suppose it's good enough for a boring afternoon viewing.

Recommended: Sure

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "I am SO sorry." - Jerry (Ryan Reynolds)

Comments

  1. Awww only a C+.. :P

    I loved this movie so much, it had me giggling for hours

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this screening at TIFF last year and being impressed that Reynolds would roll the dice on a project like this but turned off by the subject matter. Your review makes me feel like I made the right choice by skipping it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm kind of shocked something like this was at TIFF to begin with and not straight to DVD, tbh.

      Delete
  3. This movie is a riot, but the ending is random as shit. Of course, I have a pretty dark sense of humor (I consider "The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence)" a comedy, albeit not a very consistent one) and I LOVE crazy people in movies (not so much in real life :( ) so I found this film hilarious. Couldn't help feeling sorry for poor Jerry ::(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would've found it funnier, it was just kind of there for me. The Human Centipede movies are so poorly done they could pass for comedies. lol

      Delete
    2. The 1st "Human Centipede" was pretty piss-poor. The 2nd one was certainly no masterpiece (over-the-top as all fuck, plot holes everywhere,) but the performance of Laurence R. Harvey as Martin Lomax was outstanding and almost made the movie worth watching for me. I'll probably end up watching the 3rd one out of morbid curiosity :/ The problem with the 2nd one is that not only is it unbelievable that an obese, asthmatic , retarded guy could catch all those people, but also the whole thing is so light on plot on heavy on gore, teeth being knocked out and intestines going squish that the movie is kind of pointless. Otherwise, it's not THAT bad (I believe that some of the humor was intentional, albeit pitch black.)

      Have you seen "Buried" with Ryan Reynolds? It's kind of amazing how a film set entirely in a coffin can keep your eyes glued to the screen the whole time.

      Delete
    3. I have seen Buried, and I really liked it. That definitely made me take Reynolds more seriously.

      The first Human Centipede was honestly such a great idea and I was really looking forward to it when it came out, but god did they fail.They really had something there, but they never tried to do anything with the plot above shock value and they hired terrible actors.

      Delete
  4. Ha, I'll see pretty much anything with Anna Kendrick, and I really liked Arterton in Tamara Drewe, Quantum of Solace, and Byzantium. I plan on seeing this eventually. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Byzantium is great. I'm not crazy about her as an actress, but I liked her there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum