Thursday Movie Picks: Sequels

This week's theme from Wandering Through the Shelves is sequels. I'm going to go all Kanye for a minute and just say THE DARK KNIGHT WAS THE GREATEST SEQUEL OF ALL TIME! But I already used it, so that's why it isn't here. In fact, I left all super hero movies off because I could've easily made this list all out of sequals. Here are some of my favs, and no they're not very original. (Can sequals really be original? Only popular movies get sequals)

1) The Empire Strikes Back

This is my favorite of all the Star Wars movies. It just worked so well. It was action packed, it had a lot of character development, and even though I knew Vader was Luke's father before I saw it for the first time, that reveal was still intense. 

2) Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

I suppose it's technically a "threequel" but, the Lord of the Ring movies got better as they went, and this is one by far the best. I wasn't even mad at the movie's 10 false endings. 

3) How To Train Your Dragon 2

The animators that worked on this film do not get enough credit. The way they aged their original characters was flawless. It was so detailed and I'm glad they decided to bump them up into their 20's instead of leaving them as teenagers. The score was still beautiful, and the story was even more complex. 

Comments

  1. Empire Strikes Back is my favourite sequel of all time. I guess The Dark Knight comes pretty close though - Aliens and Terminator 2 have to be up there as well :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I used the Dark Knight more than once already, so I was a bit sad to leave it out.

      Delete
  2. I've only seen two of these and only liked one of them, the Empire Strikes Back, but I like they all seem to interrelate. Good choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I've ever met someone that didn't like Empire. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen How To Train Your Dragon but have seen the other 2 and they are great. I LOVE LOTR!!! Hope I am not shouting that too loud:) I left my picks on other's blogs-"Father's Little Dividend", "Naked Gun 2 1/2" and " Star Trek: First Contact". Still thinking about joining-it is a weekly commitment:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should join in! It's good fun. I tend to write a bunch of them in advance and just schedule them to post.

      And it's totally appropriate to shout about LOTR. ;)

      Delete
  5. SO agree on HTTYD2 (its Oscar loss still stings) - the aging of the characters was wonderfully and subtly done. That whole movie is gorgeous. I want to watch it again right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I love HTTYD2 so much. I'm watching the series on Netflix with my kid.

      Delete
  6. Ah, I do love to train dragons. Sweet movies, and smart, and lovely to look at. I haven't seen the other two at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really haven't seen the other two? Wow! That's kind of impressive. lol

      Delete
  7. I also pick a threequel (Before Midnight). I simply like Midnight better than Sunset.

    I LOVE HTTYG 2! I like the story less than the first film, but the second one has more dragons (which is awesome).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just liked that they visibly aged the characters for HTTYD2. It's not often that happens. I really need to see the Before trilogy.

      Delete
  8. Such epically brilliant picks!! Of course, HTTYD2 was brilliant. And I love anything LOTR related and old classic Star Wars. Empire Strikes Back almost made my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome picks Brittani! I set a parameter of only including live-action sequels in the last decade for my list, otherwise I'd have included HTTYD 2, love that franchise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you enjoy the franchise too. It's one of my favorite things.

      Delete
  10. The Empire Strikes Back is one of the best movies of all-time, sequel or not. Love that movie. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brittani! Great picks. The Empire Strikes Back FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Empire! Return...of the King! Yes!! Haven't seen HTTYD 1 or 2. Maybe one day. Great picks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both awesome. You should definitely check it out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum