DVD Review: Inherent Vice

Hippies, man!

Doc Sportello (Joaquin Phoenix) is a PI in 1970's Los Angeles. His ex girlfriend, Shasta (Katherin Waterston) comes to him for help when she believes her current boyfriend is about to get into a load of trouble. Soon, that boyfriend goes missing, SHE goes missing, and Doc is being set up as a suspect in a murder and is found by LAPD Detective Bjornsen (Josh Brolin) who has an interesting relationship with Doc.

I have to be blunt, this movie is fucking weird. It's very weird, and very long. It's an interesting, and often times very amusing ride, but since it dragged out so much it got a bit hard to follow, for me anyways. I can appreciate the complex layers this film had even though I'm not sure I'm fully comprehending them yet. 

I have to say, I love this cast Joaquin and Brolin are fantastic. Reese Witherspoon makes a bit of a cameo, and I really enjoyed seeing her chemistry with Phoenix again. They play off each other so well. I really liked the use of a Narrator too. Joanna Newsom has a very pleasant voice.

Over all, I'm not sure I fully grasp everything that went on in this film, but I laughed and was never bored. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorabe Quote: "Inherent vice in a maritime insurance policy is anything that you can't avoid. Eggs break, chocolate melts, glass shatters, and Doc wondered what that meant when it applied to ex old ladies." - Sortilège (Joanna Newsom)

Comments

  1. I know this is one I will enjoy if I watch again. I just dont know if I can commit to such time. This one really confused me. Even more then Mulholland Dr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It confused me too. Not a bad confusing, but still. If someone held a gun to my head and told me to coherently explain this movie, I'd fail.

      Delete
  2. It is a weird movie yet I do want to see it again. I just love how funny it is and why it doesn't play by the rules. Plus, the cast is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to tackle it again sometime too, just to see if I grasp it better.

      Delete
  3. yeah...my eyes started to glaze over a few minutes after turning this on. but the cast is great. joaquin for all the prizes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joaquin is excellent. He looked like he was having fun too.

      Delete
  4. I want to try to tackle this one, even though I'll probably be so lost I'll cry myself to sleep.

    Sounds intriguing, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. You're smarter than me, you'll probably get it. lol

      Delete
  5. This movie is so complex...and so weird...and really simple at the same time. It's really about Doc and his connection to Shasta not only as a lover (and he does love her) but also as a physical representation of what he lost when the 1960s turned into the 1970s. I listed this as my favorite movie of last year, mostly because it did such a perfect job of defying everything I expect from movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't feel simple to me at all. lol It did at first, then as we kept going, I kept questioning myself on what was happening. It was still fun though.

      Delete
  6. Very weird and very long, hmmm not exactly a ringing endorsement, ahah. But I might give it a shot as the trailer made me laugh so hard. I like Joaquin too, so hopefully I like it when I get around to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's quite the experience. Joaquin is excellent in it.

      Delete
  7. I always love your reviews because they are direct and to the point. I've been wanting to see this movie...simply b/c I liked the song in the commercial. It looks really trippy. Anderson can be a really weird director. He can make masterpiences like 'There will be Blood' and then a strange movie like 'The Master.' The Master was another movie that I thought was too long and weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) That means a lot coming from you. I love your blog so much. Anderson can definitely be weird, this is by far his strangest film, IMO.

      Delete
  8. LOL, I've seen it three times, loved it every time, and I still don't "get" it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was afraid I'd post this review and everyone would be like "no way, it was so easy to understand!"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum