Indie Gems: Rhinoceres Eyes

Seems legit.

Chep (Michael Pitt) is a socially awkward man living and working in a prop house. The owner, Bundy (Matt Servitto) took him in long ago, and often tries (and fails) to get him out to socialize. He's obviously suffering from some sort of mental illness, and though his co-workers mean and treat him well, they just dismiss it as "stupid." One day, a production coordinator, Fran (Paige Turco) comes in looking for a very specific prop. After Chep secures it for her, she takes advantage of Chep by asking for stranger things. He thinks this means they're in love.

I'm a big Michael Pitt fan, and I've been trying to make my way through his older filmography. This is one of the strangest movies I've ever seen. It's almost like being in a strange carnival house for 90 minutes. Added on to that is the fact that Chep hallucinates some of them moving around, talking to him, all done in a creepy stop motion style.

Pitt is perfect as Chep. It's very different from the other roles he has taken on. The fun house type production fits the tone. It gets weird, but it's supposed to be, and it works.

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "Buck nutty. Like running amok with an ax or some shit" - Bundy (Matt Servitto)

Comments

  1. I haven't heard of this movie, but it sounds interesting. I haven't seen a lot of Michael Pitt's filmography, might add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, maybe I need to see more from Pitt, because I can't stand him based on what I've seen. I've never even heard of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love Pitt. It's a shame he's apparently a terror to work with. I've always been impressed by his work. The Dreamers, Boardwalk Empire, and Last Days are probably my favorite of his. I know you didn't like I Origins, but I like that too. Same with Bully.

      Delete
  3. LOL, this looks too weird for me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum