En Route to Oscars (Gold Globe Thoughts)

The "FTW" edition. I'm going to go over each category with my opinions and who I think will win each category, and who deserves to win (sometimes they are not the same person.



Best Motion Picture - Drama
Nominees:Avatar, Precious, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, Up in the air


The only one that surprised me was "Avatar" I really thought 'The Lovely Bones' would be in there. I'm happy to see Inglrious Basterds as that movie was awesome, and I'm excited to see 'Precious'. I'm going with 'Precious' FTW.


Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Nominees:(500) Days of Summer, The Hangover, Nine, Julie and Julia, It's Complicated

(500) Days of Summer has been one of the best movies I've seen all year, I'm glad it's getting love outside the indie circut, and how awesome is 'The Hangover' being nominated? You have to admit that when you first saw the previews for that, you thought it would be "just another stupid bacholor movie". Myself, along with the rest of the world were happily proved wrong. This movie was gold. I figured 'Julie and Julia' would be in there, 'It's Complicated' isn't really my kind of film. 'Nine' even though it had lukewarm reviews still managed to get in there. Daniel Day Lewis does that to people. I'm going with the much deserving (500) Days of Summer FTW.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart. George Clooney for Up in the Air. Colin Firth for A Single Man. Morgan Freeman for Invictus. Tobey Maguire for Brothers (2009/I)

All very predictable, except for Tobey Maguire, it's nice to see him in there. (Which reminds me I really need to post a review for 'Brothers').I'm going to go with Morgan Freeman (for his awesome turn in 'Invictus') FTW.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Nominees:Emily Blunt for The Young Victoria. Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side. Helen Mirren for The Last Station. Carey Mulligan for An Education. Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

I got to see snipets from 'The Young Victoria' this weekend and Emily Blunt is awesome in it. I'm disappointed that Abbie Cornish didn't make the cut for 'Bright Star', same with Soarise Ronan for Lovely Bones but I'm going to have to go with the charming Carey Mulligan FTW.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Nominees:Matt Damon for The Informant! Daniel Day-Lewis for Nine.Robert Downey Jr. for Sherlock Holmes.Joseph Gordon-Levitt for (500) Days of Summer. Michael Stuhlbarg for A Serious Man (2009)

It's pretty obvious how stoked I am to see Joseph Gordon Levitt in this category. He's SO underrated, it's good to see him getting praise. Lets hope it goes all the way to the Oscars. It's nice to see Robert Downey Jr in here as well, he sure is having a hell of a few years. I'm (biastly) going for Joseph Gordon-Levitt FTW. He deserves it the most

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Nominees:Sandra Bullock for The Proposal. Marion Cotillard for Nine.Julia Roberts for Duplicity.Meryl Streep for It's Complicated.Meryl Streep for Julie & Julia (2009)

Meryl, Meryl Meryl! Julia Roberts for Duplicity is random, then again the Globes love the star power (How else do you explain Tom Cruise's nom for 'Tropic Thunder' and John Travolta's for 'Hairspray'?) Good to see the extrenely talented Marion Cotillard in there, and box office champ Sandra Bullock. I'm going with Meryl Streep FTW. She's the best. Hands down.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Nominees:Matt Damon for Invictus. Woody Harrelson for The Messenger. Christopher Plummer for The Last Station. Stanley Tucci for The Lovely Bones.Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds

Oh Look! The Lovely Bones actually got some love! Alot of people said this category was predictable, I didn't think it was. The only for sure shot I saw was Christoph Waltz...FTW, by the way.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Nominees:Penélope Cruz for Nine.Vera Farmiga for Up in the Air.Anna Kendrick for Up in the Air. Mo'Nique for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire.Julianne Moore for A Single Man

This was predictable. I really need to see 'Up in the Air' because I've only seen Anna Kendrick in the autrocity that is "Twilight" and I'm ready to see her in something else. I never thought I'd say these words: Mo'Nique..FTW (weird, isn't it?)

Best Director - Motion Picture
Nominees:Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker.James Cameron for Avatar.Clint Eastwood for Invictus.Jason Reitman for Up in the Air.Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds

Does anyone else think it's hilarious that Kathryn Bigelow and James Cameron used to be married? I do. Cameron was a gimmie, he made the (rumored) most expensive movie in history, he had to be nominated. I loved 'Thank you for Smoking' and 'Juno' so I'm glad to see Reitman in there. I'd love to see Tarintino win, but I'm going to go with Kathryn Bigelow, FTW.

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Nominees:District 9 : Neill Blomkamp, Terri Tatchel The Hurt Locker: Mark Boal
Inglourious Basterds: Quentin Tarantino
It's Complicated: Nancy Meyers
Up in the Air: Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner

No Precious? No An Education? What? That almost makes me lose some of my happiness that was brought on by 'Discrict 9' being nominated. Again, I'd love Tarintino to win, but I think this one will go to Up In The Air. FTW

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Nominees: Avatar:James Horner, Simon Franglen, Kuk Harrell("I Will See You")
Brothers: U2, Bono("Winter")
Crazy Heart: T-Bone Burnett, Ryan Bingham("The Weary Kind")
Everybody's Fine: Paul McCartney("(I Want To) Come Home")
Nine: Maury Yeston("Cinema Italiano")

No Yeah Yeah Yeahs for 'Where The Wild Things Are'? I'll hope for the Oscars. I don't care what anyone says, but 'Cinema Italiano' was a horrible song. I'n woing with Paul McCartney FTW.

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Nominees:Avatar : James Horner
The Informant!: Marvin Hamlisch
A Single Man: Abel Korzeniowski
Up: Michael Giacchino
Where the Wild Things Are: Carter Burwell, Karen Orzolek

There are my Wild Things! FTW, by the way.

Best Animated Film
Nominees:Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
Up

Coraline was my favorite animated film this year (Haven't seen Mr. Fox yet though) however I think this category is as predictable as last year's. Up - FTW.

Best Foreign Language Film
Nominees:Los abrazos rotos
Baarìa
Das weisse Band - Eine deutsche Kindergeschichte
La nana
Un prophète

This is an important category in my opinion, and unfortunetly I never get a chance to see these films until after Oscar season, which is a shame because I would like to catch them before all the hype. I can't pick a winner here, because I haven't gotten the chance to view them.

Best Television Series - Drama
Nominees:"Big Love"
"Dexter"
"House M.D."
"Mad Men"
"True Blood"

Ok, Rant time! Where is 'Rescue Me'? and WHERE is 'Breaking Band'? Hands down two of the best dramas on television, and their omitted. Most people are outraged because 'Sons of Anarchy' didn't make the cut, I'm not. That show doesn't hold a candle to the nominees. This is a tough category as all these shows are good. I like that 'Big Love' made it in there. I'm going to go with Dexter, FTW. This season was the best of them all, although I bet they give it to 'True Blood' again.

Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Nominees:"Entourage"
"Glee"
"The Office"
"Modern Family"
"30 Rock"

WHERE is 'The Big Bang Theory'? It's insulting that 'Modern Family' made it in there instead. "Weeds" didn't make it either which is disappointing. Alot of people are happy 'Glee' made it. Good for them, they have die-hard fans, and when something (that isn't Twilight) has fans like that, they deserve to be awarded. I'm going with 30 Rock, FTW. Again.

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Nominees:Georgia O'Keeffe
Grey Gardens
Into the Storm
"Little Dorrit"
Taking Chance

I don't really have much to say here. 'Into The Storm' was good. FTW.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Nominees:Kevin Bacon for Taking Chance
Kenneth Branagh for "Wallander"
Chiwetel Ejiofor for Endgame
Brendan Gleeson for Into the Storm
Jeremy Irons for Georgia O'Keeffe

Brendan Gleeson is the man. Brendan Gleeson FTW. 'nuff said.


Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Nominees:Joan Allen for Georgia O'Keeffe
Drew Barrymore for Grey Gardens
Jessica Lange for Grey Gardens
Anna Paquin for The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler
Sigourney Weaver for Prayers for Bobby

The ladies of 'Grey Gardens' did excellent, but I'm going to go with my personal favorite, Anna Paquin FTW.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Nominees:Alec Baldwin for "30 Rock"
Steve Carell for "The Office"
David Duchovny for "Californication"
Thomas Jane for "Hung"
Matthew Morrison for "Glee"

The omission of Jim Parsons for 'The Big Bang Theory' is sad (step up, SAGs) I'm surprised that Charlie Sheen didn't make it! We have our deserving regulars, Duchovny, Baldwin and Carell. I'm going to go with Alec Baldwin FTW

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Nominees:Toni Collette for "United States of Tara"
Courteney Cox for "Cougar Town"
Edie Falco for "Nurse Jackie"
Tina Fey for "30 Rock"
Lea Michele for "Glee
"
The fact that Courteney Cox got in for 'Cougar Town' and Mary Louise Parker didn't for 'Weeds' is pathetic. I have a feeling Toni Collette will pull a surpsing win (see: Emmys) from Tina Fey this year. Toni Collette, FTW.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama
Nominees:Simon Baker for "The Mentalist"
Michael C. Hall for "Dexter"
Jon Hamm for "Mad Men"
Hugh Laurie for "House M.D."
Bill Paxton for "Big Love"

Again, No Denis Leary for 'Rescue Me' and no Bryan Cranston for 'Breaking Bad'. Sad. I'm going for the super deserving Michael C. Hall, FTW.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama
Nominees:Glenn Close for "Damages"
January Jones for "Mad Men"
Julianna Margulies for "The Good Wife"
Anna Paquin for "True Blood"
Kyra Sedgwick for "The Closer"

This was pretty predictable. They swapped Sally Fields for Julianna Margulies. I'm gonna go with my girl Anna Paquin FTW again.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Nominees:Michael Emerson for "Lost"
Neil Patrick Harris for "How I Met Your Mother"
William Hurt for "Damages"
John Lithgow for "Dexter"
Jeremy Piven for "Entourage"

William Hurt is SUCH a good actor, this makes it hard. I'm going to have to go with Neil Patrick Harris, FTW. Sorry Jeremy Piven, but after watching you host WWE's Monday Night Raw with "Dr. Ken" I don't ever want to see you on my tv screen again.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Nominees:Jane Adams for "Hung"
Rose Byrne for "Damages"
Jane Lynch for "Glee"
Janet McTeer for Into the Storm
Chloë Sevigny for "Big Love"

Like I said before, I haven't seen 'Glee' but I LOVE Jane Lynch. I'm going to go with her FTW just on principle. Jane Lynch is hilarious.

------

Well that wraps it up! Please let me know what you think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum