Review: Predators


Adrian Brody has moved on from having sex with aliens to trying to kill them. Way to use that Oscar, buddy!

I went into this film with horrible expectations. Every review I read ripped it, the synopsis I read made me think this movie was going to have the same plot as 'The Condemned'. I'm happy to say that I enjoyed this one almost as much (if not more) than the first.

The film revolves around a group soldiers, criminals and mercenaries that are dropped off on a tropical planet only to figure out that they are being hunted by strange alien creatures. They try to band together to survive, but with their different lifestyles, we know this is going to get ugly.

What I loved most about this film was that it actually felt like a 80's horror flick. It's ridiculously gory, has quick camera movements and cheese ball dialogue. The entire cast looks quite hilarious on paper. Adrian Brody (great as our tough, dark, leading man) Alice Braga (I Am Legend) Danny Trejo, (Machete!) Laurence Fishburn, (Morpheous!) Mahershalalhashbaz Ali, (seriously, that's his name) Derek Mears (Jason Vorhees!) and Topher Grace (Eric Forman!) At first I thought Grace seemed out of place, but he's the main source of intentional comic relief throughout the film. After viewing the whole thing, I thought he fit in just fine.

Director Nimrod Antal actually made an attempt to acknowledge the events from the first film. I appreciated that, it made it feel more complete. Is this a 5 star classic? No. Did Predator even need another sequel? No. Was it an uber-gory yet enjoyable popcorn flick? Yes. It doesn't have to be taken too seriously, just sit back and enjoy the fun.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "I want to know who threw me out of a fucking airplane." - Adrian Brody

Comments

  1. I was somewhat disappointed with this movie. I was mildly bored while watching it as there were almost thrills or scares throughout the movie. It doesn't come close to be as cool as the original one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum