Review: Past Lives


Na Young (Greta Lee) and Hae Sung (Teo Yoo) grew up together in Seoul. They had a cute crush, which didn't get time to blossom before Na Young's family immigrated to Canada. Now going by Nora, on a whim she looks up Hae Sung online only to discover he's been searching for her too. They finally meet in person again, 20 years later.

This is a deeply personal story for writer/director Celine Song and it shows. Past Lives in an intimate story about immigration, starting over and long lost love. A lot of feelings are packed into this 90 minute run time and every moment is handled with care by Song.

I know "childhood crushes reunited" is not an uncommon trope. From my understanding, it's much more prevalent in Asian cinema but for me personally, this was a welcomed change of pace. Nora is married to a perfectly nice American guy named Arthur.(Joe Magaro) In another movie, one might be rooting for Nora to leave him and run away with Hae Sung. But Arthur's not a bad guy, and Nora and Hae Sung have grown to be different people. Yet, I still felt a profound sadness watching their interactions. 

There's something so pure about the two and Lee and Yoo have fantastic chemistry. Their expressions show the depth of this connection. Nora is content in her life, but seeing Hae Sung in person can't help but make her wonder what could've been. Hae Sung has come to a bit of a stand still, so Nora becomes his fantasy. All the actors are extraordinary in their roles. No drama, no fighting, just feelings.

Of course I cried at the end, which brings me to another personal gripe...turning the lights back on immediately when the credits roll. Would it kill some of these theaters to let us linger in the dark for a minute or two to compose ourselves? 

Grade: A

Comments

  1. I wanted to see this but I had ran out of money at the time as it was at my local multiplex for a week and it disappeared after that. I do hope it arrives on a streaming service near me soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! It's so wonderful. I was worried my theater would get rid of it quickly before I could get back from being out of town, but it's still hanging on.

      Delete
  2. Due to vacation I missed this film's short run at our theater which is really bumming me out. I've heard nothing but good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good. Hopefully you'll get the chance to see it soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum