Review: I Want Your Sex
Director Gregg Araki has made his name as being a very "out there" filmmaker and I love him for it. He's spent the last decade mostly directing TV episodes, but he's finally back with another feature film and I couldn't be more here for it.
If you're thinking "wow, this absolutely sounds like something Philip Seymour-Hoffmans kid would make" you would be right. Cooper brings a charm to Elliot, which is much needed because there is a lot to get frustrated with him with. I think the film does a mostly good job of calling out Elliot's shitty behaviors, but Cooper makes you want want to keep watching him. A lessor actor could've made this role insufferable. Olivia Wilde feels so perfectly cast here. I honestly can't imagine anyone else playing Erika.
Obviously with a title like I Want Your Sex you know the film is going to be pretty provocative so in expecting nudity and for things to get weird. The writing overall is interesting, but not very deep. My main complaint is with one of the supporting characters, Apple (Chase Sui Wonders) who is Elliott's roommate. They have a big scene in the middle of the film that felt like it deserved at least some resolution at the end, and that never came. Yes, it's not the main story but it was just a glaring omission to me that I wish the film had spent a little more time on it. Especially because Wonders was hilarious and the ending itself could've used a little fine-tuning.
Over all, this isn't my favorite Araki film, but it's still a good watch. It's very much closer to Kaboom and Smiley Face than it is Mysterious Skin or White Bird in a Blizzard. So if you're familiar with his work, go in knowing that. You'll get plenty of laughs either way.
Grade: B-

Yeah, I definitely wanted that scene between Apple and Elliott to be followed by some kind of unpacking. I actually think the movie is quite superficial and doesn't say anything about anything. I am not as sold on Cooper Hoffman as you are, though I thought he was... fine in this role. Olivia Wilde was good enough in a role that doesn't offer her character any interiority.
ReplyDeleteI agree. The longer I sit with it, the more I do think it's pretty superficial, even though I still enjoyed watching it.
DeleteI'm not familiar w/ Araki's work but not sure this one is for me. Glad to hear Cooper Hoffman is just as talented as his dad.
ReplyDeleteIf I had to recommend a place to start with Araki, it would be Mysterious Skin as that is his best film IMO, even though the subject matter is tough.
DeleteI do want to see this but it just left my multiplex. BOO! Plus, I'm just glad to have Gregg Araki back on the cinema. I hope it arrives at a streaming service near me but I need to watch his last film that he did with Shailene Woodley and Eva Green.
ReplyDeleteI really liked White Bird in the Blizzard. I know it got a mixed reception, but I think it's his second best film after Mysterious Skin.
DeleteIts a silly comedy but yeah I agree, there should have been a much better scene between Apple and Elliot after their encounter with Erika. Charli XCX was awesome as Elliot's girlfriend
ReplyDeleteShe was so funny. I laughed so hard at that scene when Elliott visits her after they break up/
Delete