Review: The Hunger Games

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Watching everyone geek out over the Hunger Games really made me realize how sad I am that Harry Potter is over with. I loved the excitement of the next book or film coming out and while I've never read The Hunger Games, I definitely will after seeing this film.

Set in the future, The Capitol rules over 12th districts throughout the country of Panem. Each year a district offers up one male and one female "tribute" to fight to the death in the annual Hunger Games. When 16 year old Katniss Everdeen's(Jennifer Lawrence) precious 12 year old sister Primrose gets called upon to enter the games, she bravely volunteers herself instead. Her fellow district 12 tribute is Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) a strong by shy boy who harbors a crush on Katniss. They're taken to the capitol in a style of luxury, but they don't know that they are about to change the Games forever.

I remember when the casting for this film was first announced, a lot of people freaked out about Lawrence playing a 16 year old. They said she was too old, they lobbied for the likes of Saoirse Ronan or Hailee Steinfeld instead. While I didn't read the book, I thought Lawrence was perfect. Katniss is strong, brave, and confused. She's a warrior when she has to be, yet she still has simple teenage problems like deciding which boy she likes best between Peeta and hunting partner Gale. (Liam Hemsworth) I loved how flamboyant the Capitol felt compared to the rest of the districts, and man did I tear up during a particular scene in the middle of the film.  The film felt congested, but most book to movies do. The ending left me with more questions than answers, but that's what the books are for. I will be checking those out shortly.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A-

Memorable Quote: "Maybe you should throw the sword." - Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence)

Comments

  1. agree. the acting was good, but it did leave you begging for more. i had a few questions from this first movie that the books may have explained better but i loved the concept and was totally engaged throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Brittani, I think you liked this a bit more than I did. I felt it was good but it seemed that they passed on greatness in order to get that PG-13 rating and put more butts in the seats.
    Lawrence was good but my level of expectation for her was set pretty high after watching her performance in Winters Bone.
    I too enjoyed the 1% city dwellers being portrayed as foppish dandies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum