Review: The Accountant

....Like a CPA?

Christian Wolff is an accountant who happens to be a on the autism spectrum. Normally, I'd never use someone's illness to describe them, but it's central to the plot. He's not just a regular CPA, though. He's so good that he spends most of his time uncooking books for the world's biggest crime organizations. He takes a "normal" job and meets Dana (Anna Kendrick) but he finds both himself and Dana in danger when it turns out this job is anything but normal. The Feds are on to him (played by JK Simmons and Cynthia Addai-Robinson) and a mysterious hitman (Jon Bernthal) is as well. 

There's a lot of really interesting things that happen in this movie, unfortunately there's also about 30 minutes or so that don't need to be there, and that stops it from becoming truly great. It's not as if we're given extra development within those 30 minutes either. What we need to know about each character is sufficient enough, but the film crumbles under the layers they've tried to add.

For instance, there's two big "aha" moments in there. One of them, I figured out fairly early, and once I had that piece, I found myself a little impatient to get to the point where it all plays out since we're handed a ton of filler. The other one I completely forgot about until it happened because the film felt so long.

The performances are good, especially Ben Affleck and Addai-Robinson. JK Simmons and Bon Bernthal are fun to watch, but they've played these characters before. Anna Kendrick serves her purpose as the audiences' "wtf" mouthpiece, then disappears for about an hour. 

I should've realized something was up when this film had this magnificent cast, yet was at no festivals. It could've been a great movie with some trimming.

Recommended: Yes, for the cast.

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "What's what normal tax paying citizens do." - Dana (Anna Kendrick)

Comments

  1. Huh, that's a shame. The cast is the real appeal here, that much is true. I'm not sure when it opens here but I'll probably still see it when it does :) Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They really should've trimmed parts of the story, then it woud've been great.

      Delete
  2. Great review! Your 'recommended' part absolutely does it for me, because the trailer didn't sell the movie to me at all, but damn, that cast sounds impressive, and I want to see it for them :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth seeing, it's just not as good as it could be. Maybe a DVD reviewing.

      Delete
  3. I was curious about this one. The trailers never did much for me but I have some interesting things since it has released. I have a feeling this will be a DVD watch for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably better than paying the admission price at the theater. I hope you like it when you get the chance to watch.

      Delete
  4. I found it enjoyable, but basically, when JK Simmons puts his feet up on the coffee table, that's permission for about a 20 minute nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? This movie was at least 20 minutes too long, and that's sad since the run time was barely over two hours.

      Delete
  5. This is a movie I do want to see but this is the second review that says similar things. I will see it anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a bad one, it just could be better. I hope you like it more than I did.

      Delete
  6. I was looking forward to spending time with Bruce Wayne and one of the Bellas, but this one sounds like it could be more of a rental.

    I'd actually like it more than you, however, as I'm generally the last one to figure out anything. Hmm.

    And I do love JK Simmons....

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cast really is excellent, but it's definitely a rental.

      Delete
  7. Surprisingly, I enjoyed this one. I agree that it mostly test our patience, but on some points, it's worth it, especially Ben Affleck's performance.
    I only hoped it was neater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Affleck was really great in it. It just needed some polishing.

      Delete
  8. UUgh Kendrick is to me what Watson is to you. How is she a thing? :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendrick can at least act, Watson doesn't have that luxury lol.

      Delete
  9. Perhaps I'm being too generous but I'd give the film a B+. You're right that the actors are a large draw. Ben Affleck and Cynthia Addai-Robinson especially impressed me.

    I hope if there's a sequel (the ending looked like a set up for one) they tighten up the script and bump Addai-Robinson as the female lead, as we won't need to see Anna Kendrick's character, who already served her purpose, anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see them doing a sequel, but you're right, the ending is very open. I'll be keeping an eye out for Addai-Robinson in other things.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum