Review: Apostle

Have faith.

Thomas Richardson (Dan Stevens) disguises himself to get to a remote island currently inhabited by a religious cult. Their leader, Malcolm (Michael Sheen) has taken Thomas' sister Jennifer (Elen Rhys) and he's determined to rescue her.

I knew nothing about this film before watching it. I just happened to be on my lap top on a Sunday afternoon when Sati recommended it to me, so I just opened up Netflix and hit play. Going full Jon Snow on this film was a good choice.

Dan Stevens is an underrated actor. He's doing some of the most amazing work on TV right on on FX's Legion, but it's such a niche show that he gets zero recognition for it anywhere else. He's great here too, he easily wins the most determined brother award because he goes through a lot for his beloved sister. You can feel the pain in his eyes long before he physically gets a reason to feel it. Michael Sheen's cult leader is quite different than I'm used to seeing in film, mostly because he doesn't feel like he buys his own story. Lucy Boynton (Sing Street) plays his daughter, who also forms a friendship with Thomas and she's equally as wonderful 

This film is gory as hell and goes in a direction that I did not expect at all. While the script is a little weak in places, the actors and the atmosphere make up for it.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B 

Memorable Quote: "Pray for me" - Thomas (Dan Stevens) 

Comments

  1. So glad you liked it! i really need to start watching Legion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legion gets reaalllllllllllly pretentious at times but Stevens is so good in it.

      Delete
  2. Nice review! I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for Dan Stevens, I might not have checked this out. I've really got to check out Legion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I would've watched this without him either to be honest but I'm glad he made it.

      Delete
  3. The words 'gory as hell' have me sold haha. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so impressed with Stevens I'm considering checking out his other work. I've been meaning to watch Legion for a while anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Legion during season 1 but season 2 was a damn mess. I hope they get their act together for S3. I'm shocked they're even getting one to be honest.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum