Review: The Coffee Table


Official synopsis:
 Jesus (David Pareja) and Maria (Estefanía de los Santos) 
are a couple going through a difficult time in their relationship. Nevertheless, they have just become parents. To shape their new life, they decide to buy a new coffee table. A decision that will change their existence.

Never have I been thrown off by a movie as much as I have been The Coffee Table. I hadn't watched any trailers, nor read other reviews before hitting "play." I assumed I was in for a more Scenes from a Marriage type viewing type viewing experience where this couple will really have to access their commitment after a fight.

Oh no.

This film starts with the pettiest argument over a coffee table and ends with trauma that is probably going to last for generations for all involved. Watching this was like waiting to pull off a band aid. I wanted to just skip to the end and get it over with. To get to what I knew was coming, but who wants to miss an entire movie? As anxiety inducing as this is, there's still bits of dark comedy thrown in there. A character's t-shirt for example got a much needed snort laugh out of me after the dread I had been sitting in up until that point.

Even though this is not a graphic movie, the subject matter might still be too dark for some, but I walked away very impressed, especially with the two leads. They give wonderful performances. You will have to suspend your disbelief in a few parts and put up with poor lighting, but the film is entirely worth the viewing. 

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. OK, this is something I might want to seek out though I don't drink coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry! There is no coffee to be had in this film lol. I think you'll dig it.

      Delete
  2. This sounds quite interesting! A lot of movies I saw during film festivals threw me off too as there are usually no trailers or any promo, but sometimes it's nice to be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! That's the fun thing about screeners sometimes. You got off synopsis alone.

      Delete
  3. This is Birgit…I have not heard about this at all. It makes me think they argue over the table and end up stabbing one another

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies