Series Review: Kaos


Kaos
is a modern day retelling of Greek mythology that boasts an eclectic cast of actors. We've got big players like Jeff Goldblum as Zeus, Janet McTeer as Hera, Stephen Dillane as Prometheus, David Thewlis as Hades, and Cliff Curtus as Poseidon. Along with newer (to me at least faces like Rakie Ayola, Aurura Perrineau, Nabhaan Rizwas, Misia Butler and Leila Farzad.

Season one is a take on Orpheus and Eurydice, as well as the start of the downfall of Zeus. I have to admit, as much as I love Jeff Goldblum when I saw this show on Netflix, I took one look at it and thought "That's probably too much." It wasn't until I finally placed Stephen Dillane's voice (because he narrates before we see him) that I really got pulled into this. Even if you already know the myths, it's a fun way of revisiting them.

This show is a very dark comedy. There's plenty of laughs but the Gods being Gods do some horrifically brutal things. Goldblum especially as Zeus, whether he's executing the help for misplacing his watch, or Hera turning all of Zeus' lovers into bees. There's plenty of instances where I gasped.

The show wraps up everything nicely for the first season, while leaving plenty of room for story for the next should the series get renewed. Personally, I hope it does. Abbott Elementary and The Bear are the only comedies I watch right now, so it will be nice to have another to add to the list. 

Kaos is 8 episodes long and is currently streaming on Netflix. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Review: The Batman