Review: Digger
Official Synopsis: The most powerful man in the world, Digger (Tom Cruise) embarks on a frantic mission to prove he is humanity's savior before the disaster he's unleashed destroys everything.
If you haven't watched this yourself, you've probably seen the headlines about how divisive this is. And rightfully so. This movie is not what it's being marketed to be. And while I'm not going to do a spoiler review, I am going to add an optional spoiler of the swerves this movie takes because it's one of those rare occasions where I think I would've had a slightly better time if I had known.
Highlight here for spoiler ---> About 30 minutes into the film, it is revealed that we are not watching these events take place in real time, but rather we are watching actors put on a play about those events. Then later, with about 15 mins of the film left. We are told that the benefactor of said play is Digger's nephew (played by Jesse Plemons) and it is taking place years after the catastrophic events they are trying to avoid take place) <---- end spoiler
At this point, everyone is very well aware of the climate crisis we are in and Director Alejandro G. Iñárritu spends the majority of this film having his actors yell at us about it. I put the blame completely on him. I didn't think Sandra Hüller or John Goodman were capable of giving bad performances, but here they, along with everyone else is acting in CALL CAPS for the entire runtime. About 20-30 mins into the movie, we learn something that somewhat excuses the theatrics, but don't expect that piece of information to be handled well moving forward. Only Riz Ahmed gets to rise above what he is given, and that's because his character is meant to be the voice of reason. He's the only one here that is believable as a person.
Tom Cruise, I'll give him credit, is doing something different than he has been doing for the past 20 years, but his character is so frustrating. He has a side story involving his daughter that serves no narrative purpose and in a way kind of undermines the "billionaire are bad" narrative the film is pushing. You see the opportunities his character is given, and a better writer would've found a way to do that with more than just his character. And because it's Tom Cruise, a man who is still very beloved in Hollywood despite being a high ranking member of a very destructive cult, you have to wonder how much of his influence played into some of these choices.
On top of the messy script, it is painfully unfunny at times. I am begging people to stop making anal cancer a joke. Cancer isn't funny. Ever. And they go so hard on anal cancer jokes in this film. It fails as a satire. It fails as a commentary about satire. It fails on everything except it's production design, sound design, and Riz Ahmed's performance.
And look, I appreciate when filmmakers take big swings like this. I'd rather someone take the chance and fail then never take the chance at all. I still gave this my theater money. I want to support original stories, but damn. What a let down.
Grade: C-

Comments
Post a Comment
TALK TO ME! No seriously, leave your thoughts! Comments are moderated because there is an unnecessary amount of spam on Blogger and I don't live that life.