Review: Get Out

Never meet the parents.

Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) is meeting his girlfriend, Rose's (Allison Williams) parents for the first time. He's concerned about how they'll take him as a black man dating their white daughter. But she brushes off his concerns. When he arrives he realizes that something far more sinister is happening when he sees her parents' black employees acting strangely.

The minute I saw this trailer, with Kaluuya and Jordan Peele's names on it, I knew I had to see it. I expected this to be more of a comedy than a horror film, but it isn't. While it's absolutely hilarious at times, it gets downright creepy in several places. It's far scarier than I would've expected it to be. 

I feel like I can't do justice in describing the most important thing about Get Out, which is how it handles race. Every time I type something, it just feels wrong or stupid. Someone said it better elsewhere. To me, it brought forth the "I don't see color" discussion, which is something my parents always told me growing up, but now I feel different about. It erases struggles. The way Rose's family greets Chris at first shows that. I wish I could explain it better. 

I've been in love with Kaluuya ever since I saw him in the short lived series The Fades. I love that he's the lead here. While I can't stand Allison Williams on Girls, her casting is actually kind of perfect here despite her limited ability. To explain why would be a massive spoiler. 

The film does have a few pacing issues towards the end. There's a side story with Chris's friend, a TSA agent named Rod (LilRel Howery) that's so amazing. While it probably contributed to the slower feel, I don't even care. I loved it.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. I really, really want to see this, but I have to trick my wife into accompanying me. Hmm. Might be tough.

    Love the post...as you told me justttt enough to run to the damn theater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell her it's only a comedy, just leave the horror part out lol.

      Delete
    2. You're evil, haha! That said, if I can brave this myself, I might have to be creative with the truth to get my husband to come with me!

      Delete
    3. It's more the idea of the film being scary then scary shit jumping out from around the corners, if it helps.

      Delete
  2. Nice review. Literally cannot wait to see this. Heard so many amazing things and have done my best to avoid spoilers so far so hoping it stays that way till I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoided all spoilers too, it's better that way.

      Delete
  3. Nice review. Looking at your list on the right, some amazing films coming up in 2017. I've only seen 4 of the 12 Blind Spot films. If you only watch one of the 10 you have left, make it Do The Right Thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for Do The Right Thing. It's embarrassing that I've missed it.

      Delete
  4. I'm curious to see this as it got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes (not sure if that's still the case now). What an interesting idea for a horror film, and oh so timely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's now at 99% due to one critic who in comparison called the Wayans Brothers "Little Man" a masterpiece if you can let that sink in lol

      Delete
  5. This is one I need to see, and one I hope to watch with my sister and brother in law since they are an interracial couple. I nominated you for a Mystery Blogger Award https://videovortex.wordpress.com/2017/03/05/a-triple-shot-of-mystery-blogger-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so interested in the incredible buzz this thing has gotten. To me the trailers looked absolutely ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They looked fun ridiculous to me because I love Jordan Peele, the film is even more fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum