What I Watched on TV in August

So August completely flew by. It's already starting to feel less like summer here and we're starting to transition into fall. Here's what I finished out my summer with TV wise.

The Handmaid's Tale

I'm glad I waited until 10 episodes were already on Hulu because I think I would've been frustrated if I was watching this week to week. For the first time, I grew really frustrated with June and her decision making. She wasn't using her head, she got people killed, she didn't even attempt to hide her contempt and it made her look ridiculous. Everyone knew she was up to something, but her plot armor is made of vibranium. I will say, I adored Bradley Whitford and I really like how the season ended. It's making me look forward to season 4. They really need to stop with the close ups of June's face though. Jesus that technique is overused. Also fuck Serena, forever.

Atlanta

Since I renewed Hulu to check out The Handmaid's Tale, I also used that time to FINALLY start Atlanta and I was not disappointed. Sure, a few episodes are duds but I adore the main cast. I love how goofy the show can be at times, like with the invisible car, while at the same time having important commentary on various social issues. I'll definitely be watching season 3 on FX next year.

Euphoria

What a season. I thought the finale was actually one of the weaker episodes but a weak episode of Euphoria is still excellent TV. I can't wait to see what they do for season two.

Orange is the New Black

OITNB had its final bow, and honestly I was surprised at how emotional I felt over it. I've been really unhappy with this show since season 4 and I read a bunch of spoilers before even diving into this, but I felt moved. None of my favorite characters had happy endings, I still don't care about Piper and Alex, but there were a few good endings for some of the women and this show really tackled the immigration issue in the U.S head on with heartbreaking results. The guest stars were amazingly strong this year. The end credits showed a lot of the actors saying "thank you" after their final scenes, and even though the show made me unhappy at times, I felt the love just radiate off the cast in those moments. 

The Righteous Gemstones

I'm really iffy on Danny McBride. Eastbound and Down showed me that there is such a thing as TOO MUCH Danny McBride. I'm three episodes in with this, it's pretty stupid and is towing that line of too much McBride, but I'm enjoying the rest of the cast enough that I'll stick with it. 

Comments

  1. I need to finish Euphoria. I really like Bradley but that show looks so goddamn bleak and graphic I never watched a single ep of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very bleak. There's a lot to like about it though despite that.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see Euphoria and the new season of Handmaid's Tale.
    I watched a lot of Big Bang Theory and season 2 of Mindhunter. Loved both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'd love to be guest stars in The Righteous Gemstones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't caught up with The Righteous Gemstones but then again, I haven't watched a lot of TV. Oh, and reading from your Twitter scroll. Man, fuck that Harry and Hermione shit. It's always Ron and Hermione. Between this and the bits of what I've seen of The Crimes of Grindewald so far, Harry Potter culture has gone to the shitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my friends has insisted that I watch ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’. So I did not read this part to avoid spoilers. However, I am going to enjoy ‘Orange is the New Black’ first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like THT better than the book, to be honest. It answers more questions. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum