Review: Petite Maman


Nelly (Josephine Sanz) has just lost her grandmother. Her parents (Nina Meuresse and Stephane Varupenne) are clearing out her house. While exploring the woods, she meets Marion (Gabrielle Sanz) who is building a tree house.

I have to admit, when I first saw the trailer for this I thought to myself "I know the twist, but I want to see this anyways because it's Celine Sciamma" Only the thing is, there isn't a twist. This film is very up front with what it is. It has to be, it's barely 70 minutes long, and that made me love it even more.

I love Sciamma's work, especially her queer stories. This isn't that, but it is about the love between a mother and daughter which I found so touching. It felt very authentic. Like we weren't watching a production, but rather children playing. It reminded me a bit of The Florida Project in that aspect. But more mystical. 

Admittedly, it doesn't have the meat of her previous work but it's short and sweet and now streaming on Hulu. 

Is this for you? If you like Sciamma's work, don't mind movies focused on kids, and want something heartfelt, then absolutely.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I really want to see this. I've only seen 2 features by Sciamma plus 2 shorts and I already love her work as I've heard great things about this. Give my Hulu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get it!! I love her. Water Lilies is still my favorite of hers. There's just something about that movie that I adore.

      Delete
  2. I don't know this at all but it sounds like a touching film and who doesn't live a tree house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum