Review: Theater Camp


When a beloved theater director falls into a coma, her son Troy (Jimmy Tatro) is tasked with keeping it afloat in her place, despite knowing nothing about theater. Most of it falls to Amos (Ben Platt) and Rebecca-Diane (Molly Gordon) two former theater kids and now teachers at the camp.

I didn't go to theater camp, nor did I know of any camp like the one depicted here around the area I grew up in. I imagine for a sizeable set of people, this is going to be filled with nostalgia and in-jokes. And judging by the reaction this film is getting, I think that goodwill is going a long way, because overall it's kind of a mess.

Featuring 2 directors (one of them being Gordon) and 4 writers, Theater Camp feels like several ideas crammed into one feature. The film is initially framed as a documentary, but that idea comes and goes. Ayo Edebiri plays a character that feels like she was added in at the final stages with no explanation. Talent like hers shouldn't be wasted. And strangely, none of the main POVs in this film come from the actual kids at the camp. That to me is a huge misstep. This would've benefited greatly from that.

It's not to say it's all bad. There are some legitimately funny moments, catchy musical numbers and a fantastic performance by Noah Galvin. It's an enjoyable watch, even with its faults. Theater Camp is now streaming on Hulu.

Grade: C+

Comments

  1. I keep hearing a lot of buzz about this film ever since it came out at Sundance but I was iffy about as I really dislike Ben Platt in general. Especially for the fact that he's an entitled nepo-baby who thinks his shit doesn't stink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His character is so annoying in this too. He's very well cast lol. I do think it's cute that he and Molly Gordon grew up together. They splice in some shots of them performing as kids which was adorable, and that's the nicest thing I will say about Platt.

      Delete
  2. The idea sounds cute as my friend's teenage girl is so into youth theater. Good thing it's still enjoyable despite its faults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely. You can tell it means a lot to the writers at least.

      Delete
  3. I had heard so much buzz for this movie coming out of Sundance and was really looking forward to see it. But you're so right - it's a mess. I didn't fall for it at all. It has ended up being one of my bigger disappointments of the year. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. They really needed someone to reign all their ideas in.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum