2024 Oscar Predictions: Who Will Win; Who Should Win


We're a week away from the Oscars so it's time to get predicting! Here's who I think will win on Movie's biggest night, and in some cases who should win instead.

Best Picture
American Fiction
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
Who will and should win: Oppenheimer
Oppenheimer has all the momentum now. I'd be shocked if something else won.

Best Director
Jonathan Glazer – The Zone of Interest
Yorgos Lanthimos – Poor Things
Christopher Nolan – Oppenheimer
Martin Scorsese – Killers of the Flower Moon
Justine Triet – Anatomy of a Fall
Who will and should win: Christopher Nolan
Like the film itself, he has all the momentum and it's quiet shocking he doesn't have an Oscar yet.

Best Actress
Annette Bening – Nyad
Lily Gladstone – Killers of the Flower Moon
Sandra Hüller – Anatomy of a Fall
Carey Mulligan – Maestro
Emma Stone – Poor Things
Who will: Lily Gladstone
Who should win: Lily or Emma
I mentioned before in my SAG predictions, I have to include Emma when I talk about this because she's truly a lead. Lily was supporting. However, I'm going to be very happy with Lily's win and I hope it will open a ton of doors for her. 

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper – Maestro
Paul Giamatti – The Holdovers
Colman Domingo – Rustin
Cillian Murphy – Oppenheimer
Jeffrey Wright – American Fiction
Who will and should win: Cillian Murphy
Here we go, Cillian hive!!

Best Supporting Actress
Emily Blunt – Oppenheimer
Danielle Brooks – The Color Purple
America Ferrera – Barbie
Jodie Foster – Nyad
Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers
Who will and should win: Da'Vine Joy Randolph
She's swept this season and will continue to do so. I'm happy for any statue that goes home in The Holdovers' name. Especially if it's hers. 

Best Supporting Actor
Sterling K. Brown – American Fiction
Robert De Niro – Killers of the Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr. – Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling – Barbie
Mark Ruffalo – Poor Things
Who will and should win: Robert Downey Jr.
Again, clean sweep.

Best Adapted Screenplay
American Fiction
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
Who will and should win: Oppenheimer
Okay, this is tough because American Fiction has been winning this category too, and there's the added hurdle of Barbie being here instead of Original where it belongs. Still, while American Fiction would be a fun win, I think Oppenheimer will have an edge. Maybe I'm giving them too many wins, I'm not sure. 

Best Original Screenplay
Anatomy of a Fall
The Holdovers
Maestro
May December
Past Lives
Who will win: Anatomy of a Fall
Who should win: The Holdovers
I love both of these movies but I'm bias in that I love Holdovers more. That's the only reason why I think it should win.

Best Animated Feature
The Boy and the Heron
Elemental
Nimona
Robot Dreams
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Who will win: The Boy and the Heron
Who should win: Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse
It's insane to me that anyone other than Spiderman would win this category, but other voting bodies seem to be going for Heron. Probably because Into The Spider-Verse already won. 

Best Documentary Feature
Bobi Wine: The People’s President
The Eternal Memory
Four Daughters
To Kill A Tiger
20 Days in Mariupol
Who will win: 20 Days in Mariupol
Who should win: Four Daughters
What is happening in Ukraine is the most prevalent crisis happening right now, and because of that, I see Mariupol winning. If you had asked me a few months ago, I would've stuck with Four Daughters winning, but I think it's shifted to 20 Days.

Best International Feature Film
Io Capitano
Perfect Days
Society of the Snow
The Teachers’ Lounge
The Zone of Interest
Who will win The Zone of Interest
Who should win: ?
I didn't love The Zone of Interest as much as many others, but I haven't seen The Teacher's Lounge, Perfect Days or Society of the Snow, so I can't really say that it *should* win.

Best Cinematography
El Conde
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Who will win: Oppenheimer
Who should win: Poor Things
Here's where I start to question Oppenheimer winning everything. Truthfully I think Poor Things should probably win, but I'm not sure it could take Cinematography AND Production Design, where it absolutely should be winning.  

Best Costume Design
Barbie
Killers of the Flower Moon
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Who will and should win: Barbie
I think Poor Things would be a worthy winner here too because the costumes were so unique, but I can't see Barbie only going home with a song win. 

Best Film Editing
Anatomy of a Fall
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Who will and should win: Oppenheimer

Best Make-Up & Hairstyling
Golda
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Society of the Snow
Who will win: Maestro
Who should win: Poor Things
This shitty movie is bound to win for its aging makeup.

Best Production Design
Barbie
Killers of the Flower Moon
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Who will and should win: Poor Things 
Can anyone image any other film winning her? Barbie would be a worthy winner and even I can't image that topping Poor Things.

Best Original Score
American Fiction
Killers of the Flower Moon
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Who will and should win: Oppenheimer
Get it, Ludwig!

Best Original Song
American Symphony — “It Never Went Away”
Barbie — “I’m Just Ken”
Barbie — “What Was I Made For?”
Flamin’ Hot — “The Fire Inside”
Killers of the Flower Moon — “Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People)”
Who will and should win: What Was I Made For?
I could see a scenario where Killers of the Flower Moon wins this, if not because some stuffy Academy voters might not want to give Billie Eilish her second Oscar at age 22. But I'm going to stick with this prediction because Barbie needs to win something.

Best Sound
The Creator
Maestro
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning
Oppenheimer
The Zone of Interest
Who will and should win: The Zone of Interest
It will be wild if Zone doesn't win here, honestly. Even as someone that didn't love the movie, what the sound designers did was incredible. 

Best Visual Effects
The Creator
Godzilla Minus One
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning
Napoleon
Who will win: Godzilla Minus One
Who should win: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3
I complain every year about MCU movies never winning here and will continue to do so. 

Best Animated Short Film
Letter to a Pig
Ninety-Five Senses
Our Uniform
Pachyderm
War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko
Who will win: War is Over!
Who should win: Our Uniform
Like I said in my Short Films review, I suspect the music is going to give this short a lot more goodwill than it would get without it. Our Uniform was the clear winner for me.

Best Documentary Short Film
The ABCs of Book Banning
The Barber of Little Rock
Island In Between
The Last Repair Shop
Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó
Who will win: The ABCs of Booking Banning
Who should win: The Barber of Little Rock
When I first started watching these shorts, I thought The Last Repair should would be an easy winner based on production alone, but a lot of people seem to be getting behind the ABC's of Booking Banning, so I'm going with that. Barber was my favorite. 

Live Action Short Film
The After
Invincible
Knight Of Fortune
Red, White And Blue
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
Who will win: The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
Who should win: Red, White and Blue
I think there's a change Red, White, and Blue COULD win this, but I could also see voters wanting to give Wes Anderson an Oscar since he's never won before. As long as The After doesn't win. God, what a dud. 

Comments

  1. I do still want to see Maestro because I always loved Leonard Bernstein. I have a feeling this is an age related movie meaning my generation will like it more than the younger generation. I watched Barbie, Oppenheimer, Anatomy of a Fall and The Holdovers so far and I love Oppenheimer. I agree with all your top Oscar choices. You know, I think Kate McKinnon should have been up for best supporting Oscar because, to me, she was the most memorable and so funny. WTF is Golda up for? I saw the makeup and it looks…horrible. You can tell Helen Mirren is in make up. I have to listen to all the best songs still but I don’t care for Billie Eilish. I want her to open her mouth up more…lol. I do think your Best Doc will win. I don’t know enough bout the shorts but plan to watch what I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate was great in Barbie. America was great in her one scene but she really is nominated for that ONE scene. IDK if Maestro will be a generational thing because you will also see how hard Bradley Cooper is trying and it's so off putting.

      Delete
    2. My IPad won't place my name when I comment...grrr. oh, I see, we always know it's Bradley acting like Lenny

      Delete
  2. I agree with a lot of your picks though I really hope The Barber of Little Shop wins. I don't think War is Over! should win as I heard people compare it to that Pepsi commercial with one of the Kartrashians.

    I'm hoping to see "I'm Just Ken" be the performance of the night as I have a dream supergroup for that performance backing Ryan Gosling. Of course, there's the people who played on the record such as the songwriters in Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt as they should be in the performance along with Slash, Wolfgang Van Halen, and Josh Freese of the Foo Fighters. Yet, I think it should include Trent and Atticus of NIN on keyboards. For backing vocals... Iggy Pop, Dave Grohl, Eddie Vedder, and Axl Rose. Chris Evans has to be one of the dancers in the finale since his brother is in the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked The Barber of Little Rock as well! Judging by the way voters went last year with animated short, I expect them to disappoint me again. lol That is an AMAZING dream group!

      Delete
  3. I really need to get to Oscar movies for this year. I have to get through the next two weeks of work, and maybe then I'll have a little time...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum