Review: The Royal Hotel


Official synopsis:
Backpackers Hanna (Julia Garner) and Liv (Jessica Henwick) take a job in a remote Australian pub for some extra cash and are confronted with a bunch of unruly locals and a situation that grows out of control.

A synopsis like that sounds intimidating, at least to me, but thankfully we have a woman behind the camera in Kitty Green. With her, while the unease is there, nothing is gratuitous. The film was inspired by a documentary made in 2016 called Hotel Coolgardie. I have not seen it, so I cannot compare.

I find myself appreciating what this film isn’t more than enjoying what it was. While Green’s previous film The Assistant (also starring Garner) was a quiet, uneasy film like this, The Royal Hotel did not grip me in the same way. The men are creeps, one friend is a partier, the other reserved, it’s very standard. At one point, I paused the film and realized I only had 33 minutes left. An hour had gone by where not much at all had happened.

Garner and Henwick are good, but this isn’t something I feel anyone need to rush out to see. Though if you’re interested, it’s now available to stream on Hulu. It passed my time in flight well enough.

Grade: C-

Comments

  1. I might check it out though there's so many other things that I really want to watch right now. I'd rather see The Assistant first and then this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Assistant is definitely worth seeing. This can be skipped.

      Delete
  2. I will pass on the riveting snore...lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum