Review: Kinds of Kindness


Official synopsis: 
A man seeks to break free from his predetermined path, a cop questions his wife's demeanor after her return from a supposed drowning, and a woman searches for an extraordinary individual prophesied to become a renowned spiritual guide.

Yorgos Lanthimos is fresh off his Oscar darling Poor Things with another Emma Stone-led film. This time, it's three short stories strung together, with actors including Jesse Plemmons, Margaret Qualley, Hong Chau, Mamoudou Athie, and Willem DaFoe playing multiple roles. 

The stories don't exactly have much to do with each other. I suppose they *could* be about "kinds of kindness" but it's really just a look into the oddities Lanthimos is so drawn two. Of the 3 shorts, I found the first and last ones to be the strongest. I think the last could've been made into a feature. The second one left me scratching my head, and after I post this review, I'm going to have to do a bit of reading online because I don't know quite what to make of the ending.

Whether or not you like this film is really doing to depend on your tastes. Over all, I think it's very well acted, I never once felt like the stories dragged. I hadn't even noticed nearly 3 hours had passed by the time I finished. My husband on the other hand didn't like it. We had wildly different reactions even though we've usually been on the same page with Yorgos' previous films before. I'm curious to see how everyone takes this. He was bored, and felt like nothing was answered. A sentiment I just didn't share.

It's not going to be the most structurally sound Yorgos film, but I found the film overall very interesting, even if one of the stories left a bit to be desired. 

Grade: B-

Comments

  1. It's not my favorite Lanthimos film but I did enjoy this while I'm glad it wasn't sluggish in its pacing as I can't watch another 3-hour film in the theaters. All 3 shorts are baffling but fun. I really think Jesse Plemons is the best thing in the film as he really did a lot in the first 2 segments while I really liked Stone a lot in the third segment. It is imperfect but I didn't mind the imperfections. I just hope Lanthimos' next film is a bit more out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does! Plemons is so great. I love how much he's blown up since being "Meth Damon"

      Delete
  2. I struggle with Lanthimos. I genuinely hated The Killing of a Sacred Deer and I didn't like The Lobster as much as I wanted to. I'm sure I'll see this eventually, but I'm not really in a rush to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hated The Killing of a Sacred Deer, but I loved The Favourite and Dogtooth. He's an acquired taste. Thankfully this is nowhere near is bad as Sacred Deer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Review: The Batman