Review: MaXXXine


Official synopsis: 
In 1980s Hollywood, adult film star and aspiring actress Maxine Minx (Mia Goth) finally gets her big break. But as a mysterious killer stalks the starlets of Hollywood, a trail of blood threatens to reveal her sinister past.

Who knew Ti West's little horror film X would turn into one of the best horror trilogies in modern day? Powered by a show stopping performance by Mia Goth, we come to the conclusion of Maxine Minx's story. This film takes placed in 1985, a few years removed from the events of X. The scope is bigger and the stakes are higher.

Unlike the second installment Pearl, Mia Goth wasn't involved in the writing of this one. West ties in Maxine's story with the very real Night Stalker murders, and it works quite well. Maxine is haunted by her past, but she's still as confident as ever and that makes her into a great final girl.

One thing MaXXXine didn't inherit from its predecessors was its pacing. I think Ti West was kind of caught up in awe of how far this franchise has come. At least that's how I felt. Slower moments felt like we were just supposed to marvel at the scenery, the big name actors showing up for smaller parts, or just the budget in general. I never felt like that with X or Pearl. They were both very brisk, and even though this doesn't even have a 90 minute run time. It doesn't feel that way.  

Mia Goth is a star. That can't be stated enough, she's tremendous in these roles. She doesn't get to flex as much as she did in Pearl, but she delivers some truly iconic lines in this one. I'm almost sad to see Maxine go, but I'm happy she's going out with a bang.

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. I do think the first movie is the best, but I really enjoyed this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm torn on which one I like best. They're all great in different ways.

      Delete
  2. I haventnheard of this at all. It sounds intriguing. Is it based on a true story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it's an original story, but it's very fun to see how it grew from just a slasher flick.

      Delete
  3. I do want to see this but I want to watch everything else before this. Yes, Mia Goth is a star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such a weird relationship with these movies. Hated the first one, loved the second one, and left totally indifferent to this one. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Indie Gems: Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Please join me in my Favorite Movie Titles Blogathon!