Review: TRON: Legacy

3D shows how pointless it is when it can't even enhance a movie about an arcade game.


Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund) hasn't seen his father in years. He disappeared one night after telling Sam a good night story, and hasn't been seen or heard from since. A mysterious page leads Sam to his father's old shop. He finds his office, and is transported into the digital world that his father has created. After he is saved by Quorra (Oliva Wilde) he is brought to the creator,and his long lost father, Kevin Flynn. (Jeff Bridges) He hasn't been able to leave, another creation of his, Clu, will not let him. It's up to them to race across the grid and get to the portal before it closes.

I saw the original TRON years and years ago and cannot remember a thing. I didn't have a lot of expectations going into the film but I was still a bit disappointed. First off, the best part of this film by far is the soundtrack. I loved what Daft Punk did with it. (Loved their mini cameo as well) Visually it was a fun film to look at. The story really didn't keep me that interested. It was very generic and predictable, but thankfully the fantastic visual effects were enough to keep me watching. The 3D felt, surprise..useless. I kept flipping my glasses up during the film and never once saw a difference. You know when the movie has a disclaimer at the beginning stating many scenes were shot in 2D on purpose that much can't come from it.  The digital younger Bridges was also hard for me to watch since it looked so fake. It was a better attempt at digital aging then say, X-Men: The Last Stand, but it still felt very awkward.

Recommended: No for the story. Yes for the visuals and soundtrack.

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "You want to know why I never came back?" - Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum