Review: Tucker & Dale vs Evil

What's the matter with these college kids!?
I'm going to describe this movie to you the same way it was described to me: "Basically, Alan Tudyk plays a hillbilly who gets mistaken for a murderer, but really the people just keep dying by accident." Needless to say, that ridiculous statement was enough to get me interested in viewing this on demand.

It's slightly accurate. Tucker (Tudyk) and Dale (Tyler Labine) fit the hillbilly from West Virgina look pretty well. They are out in the woods fixing up their "vacation home" when they come across some college kids that assume they must be psychos. After Allison (Katrina Bowden) accidentally falls in the river and is rescued by Dale, her friends automatically assume they have kidnapped her and began to wage war against the "hillbillie killers." Unfortunately for them they make some mistakes and accidentally die one by one. Unfortunately for Tucker and Dale, they are convinced that these kids must have some sort of mass suicide pact and are out to get Allison, who Dale has grown quite attached too.

I was expecting to get a lot of campy gore and that is what I received. The characters are over the top but also managed to tug on my emotions. Dale, while a little daft was completely loveable and I rooted for him. Chad, the primary antagonist/douche frat boy managed to annoy me greatly. At the beginning of the film I actually thought to myself: "I can't wait until he dies." That means I cared about where the story was going.

Is the acting top notch? No. Is it a funny and gory B movie? Yes. I wasn't expecting a whole lot but was very pleased with what I got. It won't win any awards, but despite all the blood and profanity I dare to call the film "cute." Yeah, it was a cute little film. I'm glad I watched it.

Recommended: Yes, but know what your getting into.

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "I'm a horrible therapist!" - Allison (Katrina Bowden)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum