DVD Review: Waltz With Bashir

Something to help your memory.

Ari Folman has trouble remembering parts of the Lebanon war in the 80's. He decides he wants to speak with former friends and veterans to see what they remember and if they can help him. Instead of interviews in a documentary format. He chooses to tell his story through animation and reenactments of the conversations he had.

This has been on my watch list for ages. I've always heard such wonderful things. Watching it now, I can see why it sticks with people. I'm not sure if I've ever seen anything like this. 

The animation is singular and doesn't feel like I've seen something like it over and over. The way Folman crafts this film together is fascinating. It blends fantasies, the horrors of war, and simple conversations well. It does drag a bit here and there, but it never stops being easy to watch.

Fun fact: I handle cartoon dog death and vomiting about as well as I handle it in live action films....which is really poorly.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "It's fine as long as you draw, but don't film." - Ronny Dayag

Comments

  1. Very happy you finally got around to this one. It's an amazing film. And no. There is nothing else like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rec :) Our round table discussions really pushed me to seek this out more quickly.

      Delete
  2. Oh glad you got around to this one. It's something special, I think. But yeah, I don't like sad dogs or vomit no matter what the format.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this recently myself. Really a cool, powerful stuff. I agree it drags a bit, especially for a film with such a short run time. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did. For some reason I didn't glance at the run time before I put the DVD in, but when I looked at my watch, I was surprised. It felt so much longer. I'm glad you liked it too.

      Delete
  4. It really is an unforgettable experience. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum