2017 Blind Spot Series: Boyz in the Hood


What I knew going in: I had seen parts of this film before, but never in order.

We follow three boys in inner city Los Angeles. There's Tre (Cuba Gooding Jr.), who is raised by his father "Furious" (Laurence Fishburne) to have a strong sense of character and his friends, half brothers Ricky (Morris Chestnut) and Darren (Ice Cube) who are taking two very different paths. 

For all the times I managed to catch this film on TV, I never realized that it actually started with our three leads as children. Another one of the many reasons I love the Blind Spot Series. 

Boyz in the Hood still feels very relevant today with its commentary on racism and violence. It's well paced and even though you know something awful is likely going to happen, that's not the point. The violence in that place and time was predictable and that's the saddest thing of all. 

Fishburne was the standout to me. Furious' name seems like it would come from what lies beneath. He's a very steady character, intimidating, and gives you the instant feeling that you do not want to disappoint him. Gooding, Cube, and Chesnut all do a good job with their roles as well, even if their characters aren't always likable. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "Any fool with a dick can make a baby, but only a real man can raise his children." - Furious Styles (Laurence Fishburne)  

Comments

  1. I have never really wanted to see this film especially since I would always hear rap crap with it...which you can tell, I hate. Your review does truly make me want to see it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great film as it definitely has that air of reality of what goes on in the hood as I think the best performances in the film are Fishburne and Cube. I love that line Furious says about being a man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was my favorite. It stuck with me throughout.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this movie. So happy you enjoyed it. Fishburne owns the screen every time he appears on it, so I fully agree he is the standout. And THAT line. So much packed into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that name...Furious Styles. Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite films of all time. You're right, sadly, it's still so relevant today. I cannot believe a 22 year old wrote and directed this movie. That's just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when young directors/writers do things like this. It's amazing, and he looked so mad when he lost that Best Director Oscar.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum