Quick Ramblings - Oscar Docs and Foreign Language Films

Like most Oscar Seasons, the foreign language and documentary features I rarely get to see before the ceremony. Thanks to Netflix, I was able to catch a few of them before the Oscars. Here are some quick reviews of the ones I saw.


The Square - I liked the idea of this movie far more than I liked the execution. It's about an art curator who has an idea for a new exhibit, but it really ends up being about an hour too long. With its avant garde style filming, having this film at 2 and a half hours just wasn't a good choice. It left too much room for dragging. C


Last Men in Aleppo  - This film was incredibly heavy and I was heartbroken while watching it. It follows a group of White Helmets who stay in Aleppo helping their fellow Syrians during the on going civil war. It's atrocious what's happening there and how normal it has become. There's literally a scene where they have just pulled a dead baby out of the rubble, and someone mentions he has to leave at 6:00 to attend a wedding. That's how frequent this is. It's devastating and I don't think this doc will be leaving me for a while. A


Strong Island - I think this may be the most intimate documentary I've ever watched. Yance Ford details the murder of his brother, William back in 1992. He was shot dead by a white auto shop worker after an argument, and it never even went to trial. But this doc isn't about getting the bottom of this case. William's murder isn't given any platform here. No photo, no interview, nothing. This is more of an examination of grief and racial discrimination. I keep thinking back to a conversation I had recently with someone who didn't understand why I was a supporter of Black Lives Matter (because like many, they were uneducated on what the movement was actually about and just believed the shit they hear on Fox News) This is why. You can't look at something like this (or any of the million other examples) and say that the police force doesn't discriminate against black people. You just can't. Strong Island really did something different here, and the visuals and camera work are stunning. A


Icarus - This was a very well researched documentary, but I simply don't care enough about doping in sports to be completely enthralled by this. I like to watch all kinds of documentaries, even ones that I don't suspect will interest me. I give them all an equal chance and for me this one just didn't capture my attention. Even if it's not for me, it's very thorough and you can tell the filmmakers put a lot of work into it. C+


On Body and Soul - Hungary's foreign language nominee follows two employees in a slaughter house who find out they share the same dreams. They dream that they are deer together in the forest, but with social anxieties in real life they have trouble connecting outside of their dreams. I liked this far better than the The Square. It too is a bit of a slow burn but it never once drags. I really enjoyed the two leads. I'd say this film wouldn't be for you if you're easily offended over meat consumption. While they're not overly graphic with animal death they do show them (off screen) putting down a cow before it is carved up. I also like how much anxiety played into this. I seem to gravitate towards movies were someone feels uncomfortable and I like how they addressed it head on instead of just making it a quirk. B

Comments

  1. You are lucky because you have the ability to see these. I don't have Netflix but maybe I can see them off youtube. Not my favourite but I will try that. The Aleppo Doc I would like to see since this horror reminds me of what my mom went through when she was 15 and 17 etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very fortunate that Netflix released some of these. it's really helpful for those of us who live in smaller markets.

      Delete
  2. The Square is the film I really want to see as I'll watch anything that won at the Cannes Film Festival. Even if it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to see it too. I hope you like it more than I did.

      Delete
  3. I've scrolled past Strong Island a thousand times. Each time I say I'm going to watch this soon. Guess I need to pull the trigger.

    I want to see the others, too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely watch Strong Island! It's worth it.

      Delete
  4. I really hated The Square. I can't get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to see "On Body and Soul". I wasn't too keen on "The Square" either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like On Body and Soul, it was far better than The Square.

      Delete
  6. I'm curious about Strong Island, but I'm sure I'll be very sad throughout it and I'm not sure I'm in the right mood for sad atm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very frustrating and yet another example of racial inequality in America. I can definitely understand not being in the right mood.

      Delete
  7. The Square was just so damn odd. Like, what the hell was that thing?! I’m not sure, but it never left my mind, which says something to me. Strong Island… god, I would love if that won. And Icarus, yeah, I didn’t get the hype for that one. Definitely did not capture my attention either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum