Indie Gems: Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool

Just love.

This might not be the least heard gem I've done in a while. It was nominated for a few BAFTAs. But the release this film got in the states was pathetic. This should've been an Oscar contender. More on that in a bit.

Peter Turner (Jamie Bell) is a struggling actor when he meets former screen legend Gloria Grahame. (Annette Bening) despite their age difference, they form a relationship that lasts several years and comes to a close as Gloria seeks out Peter again while dealing with a terminal illness.

Bening and Bell are both so good in this film that it's an absolute joke that they were robbed of Oscar nominations. They had amazing chemistry and I loved their scenes together. I almost wish this movie was three hours long so I could continue to see them together. I haven't read the source material, nor am I even that familiar with Grahame as an actress, but now I want to be.

While it's Bening and Bell's show, the supporting cast works nicely as well. Especially Julie Walters as Peter's mother. The film also makes great use out of it's small budget. You can tell a few scenery shots are up against a green screen but they don't look awful and it's the acting and the way this film deals with aging that makes it stand out. 

I wish this film had been a bigger hit over here. I wish I had seen it last year as well because it would've easily made my top 10 list. 

Grade: A+

Watched on: Netflix DVD

Memorable Quote: "How do I look?" - Gloria Grahame (Annette Bening)

Comments

  1. Ooooh, I haven't even heard of this! Definitely going to give it a go, I quite like Jamie Bell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know if it makes you feel any better it's pretty unknown here in the UK too! I only first heard of it when the BAFTAs were on but after your review I'm really itching to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make me feel slightly better but at the same time, wtf was this studio thinking? It was great.

      Delete
  3. I heard excellent things about the film as it just came and went which sucked. Especially as I'm interested in the story as well as seeing Jamie Bell in a major film role as he's always overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a good actor too and he didn't deserve that Fantastic Four remake. lol

      Delete
    2. Agreed. He was so wrong to play the Thing and to be covered up in CGI. I hope if Marvel gets the rights back to the Fantastic Four. They can do those characters justice and this time, get solid actors for the parts.

      Delete
    3. God me too, because Silver Surfer and Galactus in the MCU would be glorious.

      Delete
  4. Can't lie, the title of this movie put me off because I couldn't make heads or tails of it. This has convinced me to give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting it to be a line in the film but it wasn't. It makes sense once you have the context of the movie, but I was a little surprised it wasn't a piece of dialogue.

      Delete
  5. Nice review! Annette Bening is so underrated. I'll be on the lookout for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was VERY upset about the release this got in the US. Even in NYC, it was only playing in two theaters, and at absolutely terrible times, so I never got to see it. And I keep hearing such good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If NYC can't catch a break the rest of us are screwed lol. I hope you find time for it now that it's on DVD.

      Delete
  7. I keep hearing GREAT things about this and your review makes me want to watch it ASAP! I also wish it had gotten a bigger release here. I feel like it was in the theater for a week, and then quietly vanished. What a shame. I really hope Bening gets that Oscar someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, and I really hope you enjoy this film as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum