Indie Gems: Please Stand By

I'm ready.

Wendy (Dakota Fanning) is a young woman with autism living at a group home run by Scottie. (Toni Collette) She sticks to her routine, but she's ready to deviate a bit to submit her Star Trek script to Paramount Pictures for a contest. When her sister Audrey (Alice Eve) fails to take her to the post office to mail said script, she runs away to deliver it herself. 

Dakota Fanning is truly a wonderful actress and she's great her. Apparently they had an "autism coach" on set to help make sure everything was going smoothly and not running into offensive territory and I think they did a pretty good job at that. Toni Collette is always a joy to watch as well.

Unfortunately the script does end up with forced conflicts. Wendy gets robbed on her way to Los Angeles, she loses some of her script pages, those times of plot points that are meant to extend the film but wind up being a little frustrating, but they don't distract from the film as a whole.

I enjoyed this. It's different from a lot of things I've been watching lately and it has probably the cutest dog I've ever seen in any film. And he wears a Star Trek sweater. You can't beat that.

Grade: B+

Watched on: Netflix DVD

Memorable Quote: "This is what happens when you pee on the bus, Pete." - Wendy (Dakota Fanning)

Comments

  1. I do like Dakota Fanning as I'm glad she's playing roles that are more age-appropriate for her as I hope she gets to do different things and later do a film with her sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I think the Twilight saga hurt her. She should've had an Oscar nomination by now.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard about it but this makes me want to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum