2018 Blind Spot Series: Monty Python and the Holy Grail


What I knew going in: Tis but a scratch!

King Arthur (Graham Chapman) goes on a quest to gather knights of the round table and find The Holy Grail. 

A lot of comedians who make me laugh hysterically today all credit Monty Python as an inspiration to them. Yet, they've always managed to escape me. I'm still very ignorant of the majority of their work, but I figured this would be a good place to start. 

All the members in this troupe have a ton of charisma, and while this film did make me laugh, it wasn't as funny as I hoped it would be. Comedy really is generational isn't it? While I've seen and loved plenty of classic comedies I rarely find anything before the 90's that makes me laugh the way comedies do now. (Except Airplane! and that horse getting punched in Blazing Saddles.)

Thankfully I wasn't expecting to be on the floor over this, and I still really enjoyed myself. I can see now what people where saying when they said sort of spoofed The Seventh Seal, another one of my Blind Spots. I definitely want to watch more of their films after seeing this.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B-

Memorable Quote: "... I got better" - Peasant 3 (John Cleese)

Comments

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. I did laugh quite a bit when I saw this for the first time a few years ago. Then again, I've got some age on you. I haven't seen a bunch of their stuff either, but Life of Brian is also very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life of Brian sounds really interesting, I'll definitely be watching that next.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this! I absolutely love the Monty Python movies, but they're a very particular kind of humour. My Dad will laugh the entire movie but my Mum just doesn't get it at all. Life of Brian is a really good one too if you ever fancy trying another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to be watching that one next!

      Delete
  3. I love, love, love, love, love, love....

    OK, STOP THAT! I think film is extremely silly and idiotic. It is made by imbeciles who rely on stupidity to get cheap laughs and... *scuffle*

    I fucking love this film. It is stupid in a clever way and it is never afraid to be silly. I will never stop watching that film. It's so goddamn funny. You should hear Elvis quoting that film from start to finish. He loved that film to the point that whenever he played football. He would get hurt and all he says "it's just a flesh wound".

    Many Python fans prefer Life of Brian just for its take on the stupidity of organized religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Stupid in a clever way" is a great way to describe it. I enjoyed the randomness over it. I want to see Life of Brian even more now.

      Delete
  4. I remember when this film came out! Hahahaaa so that ages me but I didn’t see it in the theatre because I was a bit too young. When I did see it, I laughed so hard but I am a nerdy geek at heart. When the Life Of Brian came out, it caused a huge scandal and was denounced by the Catholic Church and , I think, was even spotlighted on Nightline. So many places in the States were upset and the film was banned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH really? That doesn't shock me. I remember when people had a hissy over Dogma coming out. I'll definitely be watching that next.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum