Indie Gems: Fast Color

Can you see the colors?

Ruth (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) has seizures that cause earthquakes and finds herself on the run from scientists who want to experiment on her. She's forced to go back home to her mother, Bo (Lorraine Toussaint) and the daughter she left behind, Lila (Saniyya Sidney) and hide out. But they have super powers themselves that manifest differently than Ruth's.

Fast Color came on my radar because it's one of the few sci fi movies directed by a woman. It turns out, I had seen and enjoyed one of director Julia Hart's previous features - Miss Stevens - earlier this year. 

For a film about super powers, this is very understated. I read that Hart plans on making this universe into a TV series and that makes sense given you get the feeling that there's a lot more that needs to be said when the film really doesn't have time for it.

Mbatha-Raw always gives amazing performances as does Toussaint. I loved the cast in this, and even though we don't know a lot about these characters, we know enough to make everything meaningful.

I hope Hart gets to expand on this because I'd love to know more, and even with that in mind, Fast Color is definitely worth your time.

Grade: B

Watched on: Netflix DVD

Memorable Quote: "Don't be in such a rush to leave." - Ruth (Gugu Mbatha-Raw)

Comments

  1. Nice review! I really wanted to see this, mostly for what you mentioned - a female director and Gugu Mbatha-Raw. I feel like there's nothing she can't do. I'll have to try to find it on-demand somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Gugu, knowing she's in Motherless Brooklyn makes me interested in that film.

      Delete
  2. Gugu Mbatha-Raw is someone I want to see more of as I've only seen a few things she's done but I feel like there's so much more that I'm missing out on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's wonderful. I never did see Belle, which I know a lot of people in the blogosphere love. I really loved her in her Black Mirror episode.

      Delete
  3. wow, after reading that first sentence I decided I must see this. A little bit due to me having epilepsy, but mainly cos it sounds like an incredibly creative premise. Plus I love sci-fi and am also keen to see a female's take on the genre. It sounds right up my alley, and the fact you say it is understated has me somehow more interested!

    This is now at the top of my current watchlist! Your indie gems have put several films on my radar, keep it up! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I think you'll really like this, it seems like it would be up your alley. I really hope the TV series they are planning makes it to air because I'll definitely watch it, even if it follows different characters.

      Delete
    2. Wow they are planning to make a series based on this? Sweeet I'd be down for that for sure.

      I'm gonna watch this one tonight hopefully, if time allows. I've been looking forward to seeing it.

      Delete
    3. Apparently! That's what the internet says anyways. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. I am REALLY glad to see someone else reviewing this film. It's one of my favorites of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your review is the reason I put it in my queue in the first place!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum