Review: Peter Pan & Wendy


Wendy Darling (Ever Anderson) is about to be sent away to boarding school and she's not sure if she's ready to grow up. Lucky for her, her favorite bedtime story is brought to life when Peter Pan (Alexander Molony) comes to her home and sweeps Wendy and her two brothers off for an adventure.

There's plenty of versions of Peter Pan out there and not all are great. The animated Disney one will always be a classic. The 2003 version is much better than anyone gives it credit for. There's Pan and Hook and everything in between, but now we get a version that sees Wendy as Peter's equal. 

This version of Peter Pan is out to make good on the things that haven't aged well from the original. Tiger Lily is no longer a damsel, but a fighter and friend in her own right. Tinker Bell isn't petty and jealous, Wendy herself doesn't even know if she wants to be a mother when she grows up, and we get more diversity with the Lost Boys. "You're not all boys" Wendy quips at one point. "I suppose it doesn't matter." 

For a film that went straight to streaming, this is a fine watch. It's a different take on Peter Pan's story and one that I think works overall. The biggest problem with it is the fact that none of these kids are very good actors. They feel like they're reading from cue cards and a lot of them struggle with reacting to CGI. 

If you have Disney+, it's worth checking out. 

Grade: C+

Comments

  1. I'm sure this is WAY better than... Hook and... ugh... Pan. Yes, the 2003 version with Ludivine Sagnier as Tinker Bell and Jason Isaacs as Hook is underrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did prefer this over Hook and Pan. I know a lot of people my age adore Hook but I just never cared about it.

      Delete
    2. It was my least favorite film by Steven Spielberg... until that one film with Shia LaBeouf, the refrigerator, and aliens that we don't want to talk about. In fact, I prefer to deny its existence.

      Delete
    3. OH yes, I don't recall that refrigerator movie at all. Can't wait for the FOURTH Indiana Jones this summer lol

      Delete
  2. I will definitely check this out as I have Disney+. Too bad the kids aren't good acting-wise, as I like this director's previous work (The Green Knight and Pete's Dragon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did see Pete's Dragon. The Green Knight was great though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum