Review: Tetris


A computer programmer in the former U.S.S.R Alexey Pajitnov (Nikita Efremov) creates a video game in his spare time that quickly sweeps the nation. While at a video game show, a Dutch-American programmer Henk Rogers (Taron Egerton) comes across this game - Tetris - and is immediately hooked. What follows is a thrilling chase to secure the proper rights. 

I never knew the history behind Tetris so I went into this very blind. I'm sure plenty of liberties were taken to make this into the sort of espionage thriller it wants to be, but it works! Tetris the film moves at a brisk pace. It's almost like Argo for video games at one point.

One of my favorite things this movie did was incorporate some 8-bit graphics into the film. I know it was done to save budget but it was fun and got plenty of laughs from me. As far as the characters go, some are more interesting than others. Efremov was the standout to me. Taron Egerton I normally like, but I'm not sure he was right for this role. I didn't really buy him as a businessman, computer nerd or husband/father. I can't call his performance "bad" it just didn't work for me.

This went directly to Apple TV vs streaming, so there are going to be lower expectations here, but this is a perfectly watchable film for an evening at home.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I have no desire to see this film because I don't care about Terri's...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I get it, though it's a lot more interesting than you would think!

      Delete
  2. I do hope to see this month as it just looks like fun and plus, I fucking love that game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with Tetris! It's a good time killer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum