Review: The Dark Knight Rises

Gotham's reckoning.

Eight years have passed since the event's of The Dark Knight. Harvey Dent is dead, but the act in his name has put thousands in prison and kept the streets of Gotham very clean. Commissioner Gordan (Gary Oldman) must praise the man he knows deep down tried to murder his children. Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) has taken to becoming a recluse in his own home, not dawning the Bat suit once in eight years. Soon, a mysterious new villain, Bane (Tom Hardy) comes onto the scene, threatening to tear down Gotham. Batman is needed again, only this time he faces his hardest opponent yet.

Oh man, I don't even know where to start with this film since I loved it so much. It met every expectation that I had. Even the parts of the plot I found predictable were still met with a geeky cheer inside. The one thing I was afraid of going in, was that I would be thinking about The Joker the entire time. I'm surprised he only crossed it once or twice. That presence in The Dark Knight isn't even mentioned in this film. The new additions of Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Marion Cotillard are welcomed, and each completely owned their part. I have to say, I find Catwoman to be one of the worst characters in the Batman universe, and Hathaway actually made her tolerable for me. Our regulars, Bale, Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine give their usual greatness. I can't help but smile every time Freeman is on screen, and Caine has some very moving scenes.

The score by Hans Zimmer definitely sticks out, it's the best one of the three. Although the film is long, the pacing is wonderful. We open with a very intense scene, and close with the blissful aftermath of another. Nolan knows how to keep it interesting. When I saw The Avengers earlier this year, I said that Nolan's stakes just got higher. I'm happy to say that in my opinion, he succeeded. While The Avengers was funnier, The Dark Knight Rises tops it in every other way. The story, acting, and suprises were superior.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A+

Memorable Quote: "So that's what that feels like." - Batman/Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale)



Comments

  1. Awesome review. I so agree about the score, I loved it the most out of three and I cannot believe it's getting such bad reviews from the critics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!

    I agree with you about this being an fitting end to the trilogy. Chris Bale was at his best and Zimmer's music is top notch as always.

    Check out my review .

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved it too! but i always liked catwoman, mainly because of pfeiffer, but i didn't love hathaway's interpertation of her, and i didn't love nolan's interpretation either. BUT i understand why the nolans wrote her the way they did. it was necessary and it worked, for the most part. but hathaway didn't exactly word for me, but she was fine enough. everything else? perfection. just glorious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum