Review: Every Secret Thing

The importance of communication. 

When Ronnie and Alice (Eva Grace Kellner and Brynne Nyquist as children, Dakota Fanning and Danielle MacDonald as adults) were 11, they were responsible for an infant's death. An infant who was a stranger to them that they just took. It sounds simple, but it isn't. Seven years later, they are out of juvie, no contact with each other, trying to live their lives. Sullen Ronnie works at a bagel shop. Snobby Alice spends her days walking, trying to get in shape. When a toddler goes missing, her resemblance to the daughter of the woman whose baby they killed is uncanny, so that brings Detectives Nancy Porter (Elizabeth Banks) and Kevin Jones (Nate Parker) to question them.

The film opens with a scene that isn't revealed until much later in the book. I felt like that may have taken some of the mystery away. Though obviously having read the book it's hard to say. It just seemed like a strange thing to open with. Like they wanted you to know right away which one of the two was the cruelest, where you kind of had to guess a bit more in the novel.

The film did well at condensing the novel into a short 90 minutes. They didn't leave out any big points. They managed to make Cynthia Barnes actually feel more sympathetic, whereas in the book she came off as kind of a bitch. (Which is terrible, I know, she's obviously a character that is hurting, but I couldn't shake that feeling when I was reading it)

I thought the cast was excellent, Banks and Fanning being the strongest, even though Fanning's role was small. Diane Lane is great as Alice's frankly ridiculous mother, and MacDonald is perfect as Alice. Very close to how I imagined her. 

I suppose many might see this as a typical melodrama, but the story here is very fascinating and the cast is great. It's a worthy adaptation to a great book.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote: "Some things are easier if you can sleep through them." - Ronnie (Dakota Fanning)

Comments

  1. Great review! I agree that putting that scene at the beginning of the movie was an odd choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that scene in the book kind of shocked me when I read it. I wasn't expecting it. They made a few things a lot more obvious, where they were a little more grey in the book.

      Delete
  2. Wow. This has certainly grabbed my interest, hopefully it'll be released in British cinemas soon. Is it worth reading the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I mean is would you get more out the film by reading the book?

      Delete
    2. The book definitely has more detail. I suppose you don't *need* to see the book to enjoy the film, but I loved the casting even more after reading it. Plus, it's a quick read. I'd recommend it.

      Delete
  3. thanks for reminding me about this one! i still have to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's available on iTunes. That's where I caught it.

      Delete
  4. Sold! Love your blog btw!

    Karina xoxo
    http://yesnomaybesoh.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it, I was surprised it got such lousy reviews from critics. The acting alone made this one worth seeing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand the bad reviews either. It was good!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read the book, but I might watch this soon. It looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you liked this one, and I'm so pleased to hear that it was a worthy adaptation of the book. I still need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find the time to read it, I hope you like it! Thanks again for reviewing it yourself and letting everyone know it was on iTunes. I might have missed it otherwise.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum