Indie Gems: Colonia

Put the camera away

In 1973 Chile, Daniel (Daniel Brühl) is a German man who is getting involved the resistance there. He's been drawing propaganda posters for the Chileans who want changes in their government. His girlfriend Lena (Emma Watson) is a Lufthansa flight attendant who comes to visit him. After a few days, Daniel is arrested and thrown into a torture chamber/cult commune by the secret police. This is run by Paul Schäfer, ( Michael Nyqvist) who his followers treat as a vessel of God. Lena decides to infiltrate the commune to help free Daniel.

Yes, I know. Another cult movie. Thankfully, Emma Watson has a better turn out in this one than she did in Regression. Don't get me wrong, she's still a wooden actress. But she's not asked to do much here other than keep a straight face, so it's bearable. Brühl and Nyqvist above others carrying the acting weight.

I didn't know about Paul Schäfer and the despicable things he did before watching this film. It made me want to research it immediately. Daniel is very savvy once he's in the commune, and Lena keeps her eyes open. The tension builds well, especially in the last 10-15 minutes of the film.

Despite the lead actress being less than impressive, everything else about this film was fascinating. It's well paced and gives us yet another look into the morbid reality that is religious cults. 

Grade: B

Watched on: Netflix DVD

Memorable quote: "Take off your shoes, you look like a slut." - Gisela (Richenda Carey)




Comments

  1. I saw this last year and was kinda surprised by how much of a poor reception. Its fine and engaging enough. I agree that it's pretty fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw that it made jack shit in the UK when it opened recently. It definitely isn't bad enough to warrant that reception. I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Nice review! Daniel is totally enough for me to check this out, though some of the Civil War memes makes it hard for me to watch him with a straight face. lol I have so many movies on my to-watch list, though. *some day*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew Daniel before Civil War so that wasn't an issue for me, I just want to see more of the guy. He's great.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah I was familiar with him too. I just haven't been able to get some of the Civil War memes out of my mind. :)

      Delete
  3. I don't care for Miss Watson but I know that if YOU can forgive her, then I too can watch this movie. You're such a useful barometer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmao Thank you. I feel like I force myself to watch her movies sometimes because she was Hermione, and therefore I should like her even though I thought she gave one of the worst performances in the films.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum