2023 Screen Actors Guild Winners

For the first time the SAGs were streamed on Netflix's Youtube account instead of TBS/TNT as they have been in years past. Aside from the fact that I accidentally selected the audio description version at first, I liked the streaming. No commercials, no censors, it worked well. Fran Drescher put me to sleep during her speech as SAG President, and Sally Field was honored with the life time achievement award. As for my picks - I got 6/13 which is horrid. They were throwing so many surprises. Below are a list of winners + my thoughts. 

Ensemble Cast in a Motion Picture
Babylon
The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Women Talking
I love this cast, so I'm happy for them, even though it's not my favorite movie here. I love that Stephanie Hsu got to speak. 

Male Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
Austin Butler, “Elvis”
Colin Farrell, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Brendan Fraser, “The Whale”
Bill Nighy, “Living”
Adam Sandler, “Hustle”
I was really hoping for Colin but Fraser is a much better win that Butler, so I'll take it. 

Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
Cate Blanchett, “TÁR”
Viola Davis, “The Woman King”
Ana de Armas, “Blonde”
Danielle Deadwyler, “Till”
Michelle Yeoh, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Wow! I wanted her to win but I was sure Cate would. I'm so happy for her win. Her speech was adorable, especially that F bomb. Also can we talk about Stephanie Hsu in the audience? She was so hyped. 

Male Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Paul Dano, “The Fabelmans”
Brendan Gleeson, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Barry Keoghan, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Ke Huy Quan, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Eddie Redmayne, “The Good Nurse”
Really emotional speech from Ke. He's the first Asian man to win in this category. 

Female Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Angela Bassett, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
Hong Chau, “The Whale”
Kerry Condon, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Jamie-Lee Curtis, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Stephanie Hsu, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
This was wild! We definitely have a race now, don't we? Her speech was amazing. Someone check on the nepo baby crowd. 

Ensemble in a Drama Series
Better Call Saul
The Crown
Ozark
Severance
The White Lotus
I wish Mike White's drunk ass was an actor so we could get him up there again. J. Murray Abraham screamed out "UNION FOREVER" at the end of his speech and probably scared a lot of people. 

Male Actor in a Drama Series
Jonathan Banks, “Better Call Saul”
Jason Bateman, “Ozark”
Jeff Bridges, “The Old Man”
Bob Odenkirk, “Better Call Saul”
Adam Scott, “Severance”
I cannot believe Odenkirk never wins ANYTHING. 

Female Actor in a Drama Series
Jennifer Coolidge, “The White Lotus”
Elizabeth Debicki, “The Crown”
Julia Garner, “Ozark”
Laura Linney, “Ozark”
Zendaya, “Euphoria”
The crowd loved Coolidge. Her speeches are always so long, but she told a really sweet story about her father, so that helped.

Ensemble in a Comedy Series
Abbott Elementary
Barry
The Bear
Hacks
Only Murders in the Building
Yes! I just started watching this and it's so funny. I haven't watched a network sitcom in ages and this just blows so many of the ones I've seen in the past out of the water. Quinta also said "fuck" during her speech and it wasn't censored since this was being streamed on youtube. That was fun.

Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Anthony Carrigan, “Barry”
Bill Hader, “Barry”
Steve Martin, “Only Murders in the Building”
Martin Short, “Only Murders in the Building”
Jeremy Allen White, “The Bear”
I'm so happy White won here. The Bear is a good show and he's great in it. I never want to see another Only Murders in the Building clip again. That show looks awful.

Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Christina Applegate, “Dead to Me”
Rachel Brosnahan, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Quinta Brunson, “Abbott Elementary”
Jenna Ortega, “Wednesday”
Jean Smart, “Hacks”
I thought if anyone would upset Quinta it would be Christina, but the actors went with the legend Jean Smart. 

Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
Steve Carell, “The Patient”
Taron Edgerton, “Blackbird”
Sam Elliott, “1883”
Paul Walter Houser, “Blackbird”
Evan Peters, “Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story”
Who will and should win: Evan Peters
Evan Peters not winning this is insane. I know Elliott is loved, but I wasn't here for this one.

Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
Emily Blunt, “The English”
Jessica Chastain, “George & Tammy”
Julia Garner, “Inventing Anna”
Niecy Nash-Betts, “Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story”
Amanda Seyfried, “The Dropout”
The night started with an upset. I really thought Seyfried would sweep, but Chastain gave a really sweet speech and shared a story about how Phillip Seymour-Hoffman ended a visit to her acting class with "I can't wait to work with all of you" and I miss him all over again.

Comments

  1. I'm happy for the people of EEAAO as they deserve those wins as I didn't watch the awards but I did see James Hong's speech at the end as that was a great "fuck you" to all of the racists in Old Hollywood! I can't be angry for Jamie Lee Curtis' win as I'm just happy she's getting some respect from her peers. BTW, put Jenna Ortega and Aubrey Plaza in a project together because they were hilarious. Mark Wahlberg has become a fucking moron. Makes sense since his brother is married to a notorious anti-vaxxer who should be in prison for killing children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be angry about Jamie Lee's win either. Yes, I prefer Stephanie Hsu's performance but lets not pretend Jamie's was bad or not worthy of awards recognition. It absolutely is.

      Mark Wahlberg being there was so weird, and I cringed when he announced Women Talking as "Women Are Talking" Give me a break Mark, it's 2 words!

      Delete
    2. Can I say...yeah to you for calling out Jenny McCarthy who was all over the news when she was proclaiming that getting vaccinated is what made her kid autistic. So many people followed that dipshit's advice. Since being found out as nothing but bunk. The measles came back as well as diphtheria and other illnesses. I think polio has even come back. She needs to be held accountable for her actions. The fucki g bitch.

      Delete
    3. McCarthy sucks and I'm glad more people realize that now.

      Delete
  2. I was actually rooting for Women Talking for Best Ensemble but hey, I'm happy Everything Everywhere All at Once and as an Indonesian, obviously I'm super glad Michelle Yeoh wins nearly everything this year. I sure hope she makes history again at the Oscars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she does too! Women Talking would've been a great win. They were wonderful.

      Delete
  3. We need a Buns of Steel biopic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum