Review: Anna Nicole Smith: You Don't Know Me


This documentary follows the rise and fall of one of the most prominent models and eventual tabloid fodder of the 90's and early 2000's. I read a lot of tabloids in the early aughts. It was an easy way to pass the time between classes or on breaks from work so I felt like I knew a lot about Anna Nicole even before watching this. And even though I didn't learn too many new things, it was nice to have the context behind some of it.

With interviews with former friends, colleagues and family, the documentary does a good job of telling Anna's story. It's not afraid to mention her flaws or go easy on her eventual drug addiction, but it doesn't paint her as a saint either. I somewhat expected it to go heavy on her naivete but it was clear to point out when she was calling all the shots.

What the doc doesn't have is interviews with Howard K. Stern or Larry Birkhead. Something I had wondered about. I suppose neither of those things are missed. Those around them tell the story well. Though the documentary puts a lot of emphasis on Anna's daughter Dannielynn not receiving any of her ex-husband's inheritance which I thought was a bit strange. Did anyone actually think they were going to win that lawsuit?

As far as documentaries on Netflix go, this is an easy one to pass the time. You should give it a watch if you're interested.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. Wait…the daughter never got any inheritance?? That’s weird. I was not surprised by her demise and her messed up life. I didn’t watch or read much about her as she was a gold digger. I mean look whom she married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, but it didn't surprise me because she wasn't her late husband's daughter and she came along far after he passed. The doc does say she legitimately had feelings for him, so they did attempt to combat the "gold digger" status, but it's not like you can shake that entirely.

      Delete
  2. Oh it’s Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger all of a sudden being so picky on how you sign in is annoying. lol

      Delete
  3. yeah, definitely easy to pass. but, like you, i appreciated that it didn't just make her a saint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome you feel the same! I was surprised Birkhead didn't show up as a talking head though.

      Delete
  4. I have no interest in this as I saw her on the tabloids and such all the time as she never came off as a good person and was always hungry for fame and money. I read that the reason Birkhead isn't involved is because he didn't want to do it and knew that a film about her wasn't going to paint her in a good light. Netflix is really making some bad documentaries on people who are just downright awful like Gloria Allred and David Foster.

    Yes, Blogger has been really fucked up lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birkhead honestly seemed like a bit of a money grubber himself so that's why I was surprised he wasn't there lol

      Delete
  5. I started this one but haven't finished it yet. I'm actually more curious about it than I am interested in it. Does that even make sense?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum