Review: BlackBerry


This story chronicles the rise and fall of Lazaridis (Jay Baruchel) and Doug (Matt Johnson) the two inventors of the BlackBerry and Jim Balsillie (Glenn Howerton) the eventual co-CEO who took them to the top.

What can I say? These fast paced corporate rise and fall stories just work for me. This one especially because I was once too addicted to my Blackberry. I loved that little keyboard, man. It took me a long time to acknowledge the fact that Android and Apple's browsers were just better. My love of the BlackBerry even had me get a Droid Pro for a while because I missed that keyboard. 

Despite my crackberry, I didn't know much about the company in general aside from touch screens running them out of business. For that, this film was informative. 

This might be the best Jay Baruchel has ever been in a film. He's perfectly cast as the founder. Soft spoken, but clearly brilliant. He's of great contrast to Glenn Howerton's fierce Jim. He's not an actor I'm very familiar with but he was amazing here. Jim could be an easy villain but there were so many parts of this film where I found myself agreeing with him when it came to running their business.

If you like these types of stories, BlackBerry will surely work for you. 

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I do want to see this as I've heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard of this but…meh….it reminds me of the snore, The Social Network. I know, you loved that movie but I couldn’t get into that flick at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it! This one is much shorter than The Social Network, so hopefully it flies by a little quicker.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum