Review: Polite Society


Ria (Priya Kansana) dreams of becoming a stunt woman and her biggest cheerleader is her older sister Lena. (Ritu Arya) Lena is going through a rough patch. She's recently dropped out of art school and spends most of her time in bed until she meets Salim (Akshay Khann) and agrees to marry him after only knowing him for a few days. Ria realizes that she has to save her sister from this marriage. 

My local theater had this film for about a week before getting rid of it. Of course, I missed it and was beyond annoyed, but thankfully this is now available to stream on Peacock.

I adore this movie. It's ridiculous and funny and the cast is so charming. You'll notice a heavy influence of Edgar Wright, but writer/director Nida Manzoor has crafted something completely original, even with the stylistic choices. It all works.

Many other reviews I read pointed out their disappointment with the fight choreography, and that's something I completely understand, but it didn't bother me as much. The stiltled fight scenes made sense for someone who is at Ria's level of learning martial arts. These aren't super spies. They're normal every day Brits. 

Kansana is an absolute star and I cannot wait to see what she does next. The whole cast is delightful. From Ria's family to her friends, no one misses.

If you have Peacock, this is a must watch.

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. This is a film I want to see yet it too was at my local multiplex and went away after a week. It looks fun as I do hope to see this but not on the Cock. The Cock can suck it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I only have it for Premier League. Hopefully you can rent it on VOD or at the library!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum