Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem


Mutant turtle brothers Donatello (Micha Abbey), Raphael (Brady Noon), Michelangelo (Shaman Brown Jr.), and Leonardo (Nicholas Cantu) have been raised to avoid humans and stay hidden in the sewers, but despite all that, the long for a normal teenage life. When they meet April O'Neil (Ayo Edebiri) by chance, they decide to team up to stop the mysterious Super Fly (Ice Cube) from terrorizing the city so people will see them as heroes and ultimately accept them.

I grew up with TMNT and have seen many variations throughout the years. This is definitely one of my favorite ones. The animation is like someone's sketch book came to life. The jagged lines and chaotic style really suit what they have going on here. Plus, the turtles actually feel like teenagers, which is something that has been missing for a while. I'm used to them either feeling like adult frat boys or 10 year olds. 

I love the voice actors they chose, they suit their parts well and Ice Cube as the villain was so fun. The story is very predictable, you can always tell where it's headed and you can even predict the after credits stinger, but it's still a fun time at the movies.

Grade: B-

Comments

  1. Having grown up with the TMNT as kid in the 80s to the point that I nearly had every action figure during the show while also, embarrassingly, bought an album of music they did when they became kid-friendlier for children's performances. I was a big fan of that series and I loved the first 2 films as a kid but the third one SUCKED! It still sucked as I still have a fondness for the cartoons and the first 2 films as I won't bother with those recent ones produced by Michael Bay.

    I do want to see this not just as a fan of that series but also for the way it looks as well as the score by NIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The score is awesome! As is the soundtrack they curated. Reznor and Ross never miss.

      Delete
  2. The trailer looks cute but I didn't grow up w/ TMNT so I don't think this movie is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. It would probably be a bit weird being introduced to this as an adult. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum