Review: The Job of Songs


Official Synopsis:
 In Doolin, an isolated village teetering on the western edge of Ireland, a community of musicians seek joy and connection through music as they face a modernizing world.

A documentary about Irish folk music? Count me in. Especially when it's about real every day people in a small town in County Clare. When I visited Ireland in 2017, The Cliffs of Moher was one thing I really wanted to see that I didn't get to. County Clare has been top of my list when I return ever since. 

I've always loved Irish music. While I'm not much of a bar girl, if I had to pick my favorite "type" of one, it will always be an Irish pub. The music and the camaraderie just fits my personality type. Yet, aside from recognizing that some of these songs are quiet sad. I never thought of why that was. 

This doc ponders on that. It doesn't shy away from the fact that alcoholism is high because of this setting the music finds itself in, and how easily accepted that is. Many of these songs have an air of sadness. In the U.S, I'm not hearing Irish songs about Direct Provision like they are there. It's a hardship that they don't go too detailed into, but one I'm glad they brought up.

There's a woman named Anne Rynne who is interviewed. She learned guitar and started writing songs at age 60. She says at one point that her brother (Luka Bloom) told her "When you're singing a song, you're delivering a message" and that's a quote that stuck with me.

This isn't going to be the showiest doc out this season, but it is absolutely worth seeking out. I look forward to what director Lila Schmitz puts together next. The Job of Songs will be available on digital and VOD November 21st.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. OK, I will add it to my watchlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching + reviewing tons of docs lately thanks to TCFF but haven't heard of this one. I love music-doc and anything set in Ireland so I'll add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see this. I love Irish and Celtic music and live a good ole Irish pub.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum